Sudden hearing loss

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Sudden hearing loss

Post by Amber »

I have wondered if this is too personal to post but my desire to spread the word has overridden my own concerns.

Last week, after surgery totally unrelated to heads or ears or anything, I woke up with a sudden hearing loss in one ear. Because I know a bit about deafness (used to teach deaf children) I knew this was a medical emergency so called my GP. My GP also knew the implications and sent me straight to hospital. I have received utterly amazing care which has resulted in the return of my hearing (touch wood). The treatment is very high-dose steroids for 7 days and you feel like death on them, but if they are given early you have a good (50%+) chance of recovering at least some hearing. The trouble is, and I know this now from speaking to friends, not many people realise early enough that there is potential for a severe problem and tend to delay medical advice. This can cost them their hearing.

While in most cases the issue will just be wax or fluid, in some, like my own, it is a sudden sensory-neural loss (SSHL). While some cases are related to head trauma, noise shock, spinal anaesthetic or cardiac surgery, the majority, as in my case, seem to have no obvious cause. I am posting this to spread awareness among forum members who might need that information at some point in the future.

If you or anyone you know suddenly develops a unilateral hearing loss which can't easily be explained by a cold or swimming or something, please seek medical advice quickly.

Sorry to Herman and LoobyLou and other doctors if this in any way contributes to a higher workload, but I am so so grateful I knew this.
PurpleDuck

Re: Sudden hearing loss

Post by PurpleDuck »

Thank you, Amber, I really appreciate you posting this. Hopefully we will never need to act on your advice, but it is best to be informed.

Edit: I was so shaken by your story I forgot to say I hope you will fully recover very soon and nothing like this happens to you ever again! :)
Last edited by PurpleDuck on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

+ 1, thank you Amber
doodles

Post by doodles »

+1 thankyou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Thank you Amber - good to know you are on the mend :)
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Thank you. Very useful info.
Glad you are OK.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Gosh! Glad to hear (sorry...!!) that you are on the mend!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thank you for sharing your experience, Amber! :wink: So glad that you were in the know, acted quickly and that you will get better. Wishing you a speedy recovery! :wink:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thank you, Amber. It isn't something I was aware of, so I appreciate you posting about it.

I hope you make a full recovery all round.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Thanks Amber - and so pleased you spotted its seriousness in time to be able to get the right help.