Favourite novel?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Re: Favourite novel?

Post by doodles »

W&P - loved it, can't wait for next week but do think I need a notebook or a family tree :lol:
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

doodles wrote:W&P - loved it, can't wait for next week but do think I need a notebook or a family tree :lol:

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but sounds as if our house 'Homeland' rules will need apply; no talking, no leaving the room and if you have to ask what's going on or who someone is then you obviously haven't been paying enough attention and you should leave the room now.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

On the topic of books, the penguin hardback classics are so beautiful. Lovely things.
doodles

Post by doodles »

RedVelvet wrote:
doodles wrote:W&P - loved it, can't wait for next week but do think I need a notebook or a family tree :lol:

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but sounds as if our house 'Homeland' rules will need apply; no talking, no leaving the room and if you have to ask what's going on or who someone is then you obviously haven't been paying enough attention and you should leave the room now.
A bit harsh redvelvet as it does jump around a lot! Enjoy :D
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

RedVelvet wrote:On the topic of books, the penguin hardback classics are so beautiful. Lovely things.
If we're doing more general recommendations, the Pushkin Children's Save the Story series is superb. Abridged and rewritten, but made all the more accessible for it, without losing the essence of the story. Beautifully illustrated too. Because of some of the themes, I'd recommend the series for the top of primary age group and into secondary. I read some of the stories unabridged or in the original language at the top of secondary / university, and I've reread the Pushkin versions as an adult and enjoyed them.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
PapersOwl

Post by PapersOwl »

Now I see how many books I still have to read ;) Thank you for the link
When I have an idea to do something crazy - I just do it. All the rest Papersowl do for me!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

This post is not about a book but about an article on Dicken's wife
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201605 ... es-dickens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The museum 'The Other Dickens' is open until 20 November 2016.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

JaneEyre you might enjoy "Girl in a Blue Dress" by Gaynor Arnold which is a thinly disguised fictional autobiography of Dickens' wife. It's beautifully written and a great read.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Peridot wrote:JaneEyre you might enjoy "Girl in a Blue Dress" by Gaynor Arnold which is a thinly disguised fictional autobiography of Dickens' wife. It's beautifully written and a great read.
Thanks for the advice, Peridot! :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

article which might be of interest for those who have read 'Night', which is not a novel but an autobiography:

ELIE WIESEL, NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WINNER AND AUTHOR, DIES AT 87
Humanitarian's book "Night" was an indelible account of the horrors of the Holocaust.
http://europe.newsweek.com/elie-wiesel-dies-87-477170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now