Favourite novel?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quasimodo

Re: Favourite novel?

Post by quasimodo »

JaneEyre wrote:article which might be of interest for those who have read 'Night', which is not a novel but an autobiography:

ELIE WIESEL, NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WINNER AND AUTHOR, DIES AT 87
Humanitarian's book "Night" was an indelible account of the horrors of the Holocaust.
http://europe.newsweek.com/elie-wiesel-dies-87-477170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would recommend this short heart rendering book which I read last year.Every so often you have to remind yourself with an intimate read or experience what depravities mankind is capable of and of which you see daily reminders across the world.

As a youngster I read Anne Frank's diaries with my fascinations with the second world war. If anyone ever gets the chance you should go to the holocaust museum in Berlin.I took the opportunity to visit when at the world cup tournament in Germany in 2006.In all the elation it allowed you to reflect on what had happened in that very country and across Europe decades earlier.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

doodles wrote:W&P - loved it, can't wait for next week but do think I need a notebook or a family tree :lol:
BBC to make 'Les Misérables' for TV with War and Peace team

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/ ... rew-davies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

If anyone wish to have some fun with a ten questions quiz, here is one:

Austen, Wilde, Bronte or Byron?
Can you tell your Jane Austen from your Lord Byron? Time to find out by identifying the author these quotes belong to!

https://www.janeausten.co.uk/jane-austen-quiz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Catseye wrote:Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy?

Should be compulsory reading for any intelligent 16 year old imo.
Not just for 16 year olds. My daughter read this in year 7, absolutely loved it and has been obsessed by philosophy ever since.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

A lovely quiz with 35 questions! :D Not as difficult as it may seem ( forget about the 92% :wink: )!
92% of people can't guess these book titles from a single sentence summary. Are you up to the challenge?

http://quizzes.howstuffworks.com/quiz/c ... OEJ7s_2SIg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

One of the joys of having time on your hands is being able to read some books for pleasure.

Can I highly recommend Henry Marsh's second book "Admissions" a life in brain surgery.He is the author of the best seller "Do no harm".Its a recent purchase and I have just read the first 35 pages and so far loved every page and made me think on real events around me from a different perspective.He is a lovable dinosaur in a changing world.Its a reflection on his life and into retirement.I am going to read it slowly and reflect.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
piggys

Post by piggys »

In my opinion, Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath is one of the most staggering and important books ever written. The first time I read it I sat there literally open mouthed at the ending. I have read it several times since then and observe new things about it each time. It's more than a book; it is a critique of corporate greed, prejudice and fear of that which is different. It is a book for all times, for all people. I wish Donald Trump would read it.

Among my very favourite novels are:
- My name is Asher Lev
- The Sound and the Fury
-Brighton Rock
- The Fountainhead
- Empire of the Sun
- Butcher's Crossing
- Falling Angels
- The Bluest Eye
- East of Eden
- Hard Times
- Sylvi's Lovers
- Frankenstein
- The Picture of Dorian Grey

and so many more!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Andrea Badenoch - Loving Geordie - although I actually decided that this was a book that I possibly wouldn't be able to bear reading for a second time.
Carson McCullers - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

On a lighter note, the Dandy Gilver series by Catriona McPherson; Christopher Fowler's Bryant and May novels and practically anything by P G Wodehouse :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

Must be the time of year but Diary of a Nobody has found its way off of the shelf again :D
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
mad?

Post by mad? »

piggys wrote:In my opinion, Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath is one of the most staggering and important books ever written.... I wish Donald Trump would read it.
I agree, but imagine reading is not his strong point, perhaps he was taught vocabulary lists instead?
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now