David Bowie

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: David Bowie

Post by Sally-Anne »

Marylou wrote:He defined the popular culture of the 70s and the tail-end baby boomers in the way that Elvis and the Beatles did for earlier decades.
Indeed. The difference between Bowie and Elvis & the Beatles is that he wasn't playing to female fantasy, as Elvis did throughout his career and the Beatles did in their early years.

He did so much else with his androgynous images to liberate both men and women from stereotyping.

Like so much in rock and pop, I guess you had to be there. :oops:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Seeing all the pictures together you realise what an outstanding talent he had for reinventing himself (and my wasn't he good looking :oops: )

A huge talent and even though we weren't avid fans who collected every album we do have two teenagers who can sing along too.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

We just watched Labyrinth. Really enjoyed it. Bowie was in fine voice. I'm not sure I rated him as an actor, but no matter, his voice was outstanding and it's a highly recommended fantasy in the style of Wizard of Oz meets Python meets Willow meets Time Bandits etc etc, a lot of fun. And clearly JK Rowling a fan, as the lead keeps calling a goblin Hogwort, there are moving staircases, a wall that gives way when you walk through it - interesting.
shakey

Post by shakey »

Bowie was great - plenty of classic hits - although very few great albums IMHO.
Not the greatest - my personal holy trinity of rock and roll are Elvis , The Beatles and Dylan - but nevertheless DB was a true icon- represented the 70s much like disco and punk. Acting wasn't too bad either and one of the most handsome singers ever!
RIP Starman, Ziggy, Thin white duke etc etc
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

"Not the greatest".
Agreed. In terms of our culture he was neither a Gladstone nor a Disraeli. Perhaps a Lord North?
Sally-Anne wrote:He did so much else with his androgynous images...
Yes he did. Whether for better or for worse is another question.

Perhaps you had to be there. I was not.
Loopy