Would you ever share their IQ results with your child?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stroller

Re: Would you ever share their IQ results with your child?

Post by Stroller »

Proud_Dad wrote:
Alternatively if someone has an IQ below 100 or greater than 140 they're better off not knowing IMO.
I always feel voyeuristic when "sub-normal" (not my words) / low / more euphemistic language is reported as a mitigating circumstance in court cases, even though I can see its potential relevance for the judge and jury.

Apart from that, I've always liked the theory of multiple intelligences.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

salsa wrote:I agree with PurpleDuck and the reasons given to tell a child about their ability. However, for a normally developing child with a high IQ, there may not be a need to tell them as they may have seen how quickly they learn or compared themselves to their peers. Of course, this all goes to pot when they are at a selective environment with children of similar or higher IQs.
Thank you, salsa. :) When it comes to a 'normally developing child', I suppose there wouldn't be a need for any formal testing in the first place, so nothing to tell them. It might be just those extra super-bright who seek confirmation of their ability through IQ testing (Mensa and all that) :wink: There was a case of a 12-year old girl a few months ago who achieved the maximum possible result of 162 in one of Mensa tests. A link to the story below if anyone's interested:
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... test-score" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Bookmark

Post by Bookmark »

Thank you all for your comments, they reinforce my original opinion that I should not tell him anything.

Clever children know it anyway, is is pointed at school by other kids and teachers. My fear would have been to bring up a child who is arrogant . Brain is nothing without hard work, too many bright kids are wasted because they don't learn to actually sit and think, as it all seems too easy.

It is only now that DS is in a "superselective" that I had this veil of doubt : there are some incredibly clever kids and I don't want him to feel any lesser and deserving, that is why I thought he might need a confidence boost. He is thriving at his school, so maybe it is just me being insecure!