How do your little guys use their phones?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
booellesmum

Re: How do your little guys use their phones?

Post by booellesmum »

Reading Mum wrote:DD (nearly 14) got OH's old iPhone 5 for xmas, before that she had my old iPhone 4S. We have just upped her tariff as she was paranoid about going over her data and kept turning it off which seemed to make her uncontactable sometimes.
We seem pretty lax compared to everyone else - have not set parental controls, allow laptop, phone and ipad in room. She does not have a TV in her room so watches iPlayer up there sometimes.
She mostly uses WhatsApp - nearly all of her class are on it. She is more likely to text me than call me. She has FB but never posts anything. She does play games but downloads of new ones have to be approved by us.
We have discussed appropriate behaviour at length and she always asks us if she wants to watch / access something new. If we say that something is 'not appropriate' she understands and accepts without argument.
Maybe we are just lucky
Same here. 14 year old DD has smart phone. I do not limit her or police what she does. She is extremely sensible and I trust her judgement. She has an instagram account with over 9,000 followers because it is all about the bands she likes.She's made friends in America, Germany and Sweden that she chats to and Skypes. One of her best friends she met on instagram lives in Yorkshire (we are Birmingham)and they have met up a few times - with the mothers in tow! Next weekend her friend is coming down to join us for a concert. The Internet can be a scary place but it also has its good points.
I think how much you police it depends very much on the individual child.
um

Post by um »

My 'little' guys are not so little and tower over me.
The issue of controlling phones and gaming is a very tricky minefield though. My main concern is that they are not getting enough sleep (I am quite obsessed with my children getting enough sleep :D ).
We tried changing the wifi password so they could only have it if we told them. They somehow hacked into it, changed it and then my husband and I were left begging them for the password.
We then managed to use a BT tool to turn it off only for their phones and they hacked into it and blocked my husband's number from the wifi connection.
We then tried turning off all the wifi at 10.30pm and hiding the wire for it but then unfortunately they then just hacked into neighbours' wifi, so that didn't work.
We then physically took ds2's handset off him. He got another phone from a friend as it was completely broken, spent ages making weird smells in his room repairing it, and started to use that instead.
I give up.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

um wrote:My 'little' guys are not so little and tower over me.
The issue of controlling phones and gaming is a very tricky minefield though. My main concern is that they are not getting enough sleep (I am quite obsessed with my children getting enough sleep :D ).
We tried changing the wifi password so they could only have it if we told them. They somehow hacked into it, changed it and then my husband and I were left begging them for the password.
We then managed to use a BT tool to turn it off only for their phones and they hacked into it and blocked my husband's number from the wifi connection.
We then tried turning off all the wifi at 10.30pm and hiding the wire for it but then unfortunately they then just hacked into neighbours' wifi, so that didn't work.
We then physically took ds2's handset off him. He got another phone from a friend as it was completely broken, spent ages making weird smells in his room repairing it, and started to use that instead.
I give up.
Your children will go far, Um :D

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I give up.
I could give you the biggest virtual hug ever, um. Sometimes I feel am the only one who feels stressed up to the eyeballs about this and has at least one son so obsessed, that Ive been driven to taking two iPads, all the tv remotes and three xbox controllers out in the car with me!! It's horrid for you but nice to know I'm not the only one who's children don't self limit!!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Virtual hugs too! They'll go far though. How ingenuous. I would definitely take the physical devices away, stay strong, don't give up!
Mine are young and have computer savvy parents. However, if that happened to us, I'd be very proud, but still remove the devices.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Salsa, is there a way to prevent them hacking a passcode? Ours aren't at this stage.....YET, but suspect that we shall have to take charge of mobiles overnight.

How old are yours Um?
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

um wrote:We tried changing the wifi password so they could only have it if we told them. They somehow hacked into it, changed it and then my husband and I were left begging them for the password.
:D Um, I hope you told your DCs that hacking into NASA or some other government agency here or across the pond is strictly off limits :lol:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
salsa

Post by salsa »

Yamin151 wrote:Salsa, is there a way to prevent them hacking a passcode? Ours aren't at this stage.....YET, but suspect that we shall have to take charge of mobiles overnight.

How old are yours Um?
It depends on your provider. In our case you can log in as the administrator to the actual router and kick out whoever you want. You could also see who is connected in case you suspect someone stealing your connection. Unfortunately, I hear there are apps which scan the passcodes of the networks around. You still can kick them out, though.
um

Post by um »

The older boys are 17 and 15.

It's mainly the 15 year old who is behind this though :(
He has attended the Smallpeice cyber security course which unfortunately seems to have helped him along somewhat.... there were guys from GCHQ at the course and he spent a few months wanting to join them :| but currently wants to do Civil Engineering instead.
um

Post by um »

Yamin151 wrote:
I give up.
I could give you the biggest virtual hug ever, um. Sometimes I feel am the only one who feels stressed up to the eyeballs about this and has at least one son so obsessed, that Ive been driven to taking two iPads, all the tv remotes and three xbox controllers out in the car with me!! It's horrid for you but nice to know I'm not the only one who's children don't self limit!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I thought it was just us. My husband spent the GCSE revision period with ds1's PC in his car :lol: I have to say, his car is such a mess that nobody even noticed it under the junk :oops:

Sleeping with my daughter's phone in my room was another nightmare. It kept buzzing all night! I asked her who on earth needed to send her a message at 1am and apparently it is her 'class discussion group' (Year Eight) on Whatsapp :?