D of E out of season expedition practice

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mm23292

Re: D of E out of season expedition practice

Post by mm23292 »

Yes Peridot, the venue had to be changed due to issues you mention, so I gather it was not so much the conditions, but more the simple fact it was just so cold. They had been advised they would be provided with wetsuits, but when they got there, were met with derisory chuckles on their over eager expectations of luxury!
Am definitely going to follow this up, I did declare her medical condition on the forms, but as you rightly say Mystery, beyond declaring the condition and requirement for medication at regular interval, I did not think it was necessary to make provisos on the obvious, but it seemingly seems I should!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think that it might take more than just going to town on the medical forms.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Where did they end up canoeing? The lack of wet suits seems v odd for canoeing, even in early summer in UK rivers the water can be v v cold and a huge part of learning to canoe is learning to capsize.
um

Post by um »

Oh dear :( I do feel for your daughter.

My dd has HMS and also gets very fatigued/has a limit to what she can endure without getting very weak/unwell and I have found that in general, people/schools do not take this seriously at all and many teachers will assume she is being a whinger :(

I would recommend she gets plenty of quiet time and rest to recover.
The situation the children (they are children!) were placed in might be fine for some but was really unacceptable for her needs and I would work hard to ensure she is never put in that position again.
Having had CFS myself through most of my early-mid twenties, following glandular fever after camping in cold conditions, I can testify that pushing your body to the brink might look good on a Bear Grylls program, but has terrible implications in real life.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now