Finding The Archers really tense....

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Re: Finding The Archers really tense....

Post by Yamin151 »

RedVelvet wrote:You're definatelyniton you're own. I'm usually a casual listener, often if I'm in the car, although at the moment I am downloading the podcast.

Have you seen this too?

http://www.refuge.org.uk/2016/02/05/the ... -48-hours/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's truly sinister (wouldn't surprise me if he'd got to the hen house too).
Filter on! It wouldn't open. Is that the jsut giving page that raised £72,000 for a refuge on the back of this story? Amazing!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

ToadMum wrote:I have to admit that my first thought on being stuck with the Archers for the first time in ages one evening this week (forgot to change channel before I started doing something involving hands not being clean enough to do it once I'd begun, if you see what I mean) was, 'Flip me, is this storyline still on the go?'. I'm glad that I find dear Rob (?) an even more unsympathetic character than the wretched Helen, otherwise I might be tempted to voice a very un-PC thought or two, I'm afraid :oops: . We used to look forward to listening to the omnibus edition every Sunday, but I'm afraid that that time - along with the 9 am slot on a Saturday - has for a long while now been one when we switch over to some other channel.

I have to say, though, that for me the Archers was eclipsed by the continuity person who referred to a certain composer as 'Hay(as in 'horses eat it, but grass is cheaper')den' :evil: .
Pretentious? Moi? I'm afraid I'm never sure of that prounouciation, you'd have to turn me off too.

Anyway, lot of people complaining about the length of time this story running but that's after being fed a diet of 'wife abuser 1 week, wife black eye the next week, week 3 perpetrator dead' that you get with tv soaps. I assume that no abused spouse gets to this point that quickly or they might find it easier to chuck the perpetrator into touch, but in real life, without being in a position to lecture, I would suggest that such psychological hijacking does indeed take months and doesn't just happen in a few weeks. Ive loved (not quite the right word) the build up.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Yamin151 wrote:
RedVelvet wrote:You're definatelyniton you're own. I'm usually a casual listener, often if I'm in the car, although at the moment I am downloading the podcast.

Have you seen this too?

http://www.refuge.org.uk/2016/02/05/the ... -48-hours/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's truly sinister (wouldn't surprise me if he'd got to the hen house too).
Filter on! It wouldn't open. Is that the jsut giving page that raised £72,000 for a refuge on the back of this story? Amazing!

Yes' that's the one.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Interview with 'Helen Archer' and the producer to be on Woman's Hour (another Must Miss in this household, I'm afraid :lol: ) this morning, apparently.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Ooh thank you
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Well I missed Sunday and Mondays episodes - was a bit busy at work, was about to listen in later in the evening when I saw tweets implying that it really wasn't worth it. So I had a cuppa instead.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

hermanmunster wrote:Well I missed Sunday and Mondays episodes - was a bit busy at work, was about to listen in later in the evening when I saw tweets implying that it really wasn't worth it. So I had a cuppa instead.
So what is your 'key' for whether worth listening or not? :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yamin151 wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:Well I missed Sunday and Mondays episodes - was a bit busy at work, was about to listen in later in the evening when I saw tweets implying that it really wasn't worth it. So I had a cuppa instead.
So what is your 'key' for whether worth listening or not? :)

I follow quite a few "Ambridge Addicts" on twitter and if I see "well that was a waste of 15 mins" or "15 mins I'll never get back" or "right, that's it - I'm never listening again" then I know it is better to have tea.

occasionally send a message out saying "did I miss much" and if the answer comes back "NO" then again it is time to put the kettle on.

I have been listening on and off for an appalling number of years - I find that sometimes I don't listen for a while and come back to it and it makes no difference :lol: TBH I found the whole Siobhan / Elizabeth / Brian / Ruraidh / Jenny story more complex and compelling that this at present
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I only ask because I don't like other people deciding on whether or not an episode is worth listening to. SOme people are hating this storyline so would advise not to listen when I really want to. I've been listening, also on and off, since 1991! Wow! That makes me feel old! I actually find the farming stories a bit tedious, hence popping in and out over the years. Nowadays with podcasts though I tend to hear them all as they are good company on the dog walk, but I don't need to be tied to a time.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yamin151 wrote:I only ask because I don't like other people deciding on whether or not an episode is worth listening to. SOme people are hating this storyline so would advise not to listen when I really want to. I've been listening, also on and off, since 1991! Wow! That makes me feel old! I actually find the farming stories a bit tedious, hence popping in and out over the years. Nowadays with podcasts though I tend to hear them all as they are good company on the dog walk, but I don't need to be tied to a time.
It is great being able to listen anytime - used to be a problem before - chunks of time when 1400 and 1900 were not good times to listen and Sunday morning was bellringing / churchwardening time.

Just realised how long I have listened for :oops: well I remember Doris dying in 1980