I can't do Maths ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JaneEyre

Re: I can't do Maths ?

Post by JaneEyre »

Post a bit off a tangent but still linked to maths! :lol: :lol:

I am really looking forward for the release of this film: The Man Who Knew Infinity
trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0lUqNAw3k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A bit less than a fortnight to wait! :D
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

JaneEyre wrote:Post a bit off a tangent but still linked to maths! :lol: :lol:

I am really looking forward for the release of this film: The Man Who Knew Infinity
trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0lUqNAw3k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The trailer looks great.You have me hooked.Slightly reminiscent of Russell Crowe in " A Beautiful Mind ".

Just recently watched the second exotic Marigold hotel while enjoyable not as good as the first.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Quasi,

Have you heard about Srinivasa Ramanujan before watching this trailer? Is he well known in India by most people going to school or rather by students going to university? Or by mathematicians?

By the way, in my former post, I missed a word: I meant 'going off on a tangent' :oops: :oops:
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Q-M said:
"I started A level Maths with Mechanics went to two lessons and found I was struggling to keep up with both understanding and speed.The gap I found immense and with the work required I wasn't sure I would be able to get top grades particularly as others seemed to being better in the subject."

What possessed your teacher to start with Mechanics?
Were you doing Applied Maths but not Pure Maths?

How to put off very capable students from maths by starting with one of the most nuanced aspects of Maths :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Catseye wrote:

How to put off very capable students from maths by starting with one of the most nuanced aspects of Maths :roll:

We started with both which was common if you were doing double - we had two teachers. Mechanics is my favourite to teach - understanding forces with some practical stuff can be started from day one.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

JaneEyre wrote:Quasi,

Have you heard about Srinivasa Ramanujan before watching this trailer? Is he well known in India by most people going to school or rather by students going to university? Or by mathematicians?

By the way, in my former post, I missed a word: I meant 'going off on a tangent' :oops: :oops:
Never heard of him in my life but it will be a new experience with the film.
Guest55 wrote:
Catseye wrote:

We started with both which was common if you were doing double - we had two teachers. Mechanics is my favourite to teach - understanding forces with some practical stuff can be started from day one.
You will have to forgive me but it was 36 years ago I have great difficulty trying to remember what I had for dinner the day before.I think Guest55 correctly hit that one on the head.

However since we are on the subject of Maths I would recommend a read of Simon Singh's "Fermats Last Theorem".I read it a few years ago on holiday.

http://simonsingh.net/books/fermats-last-theorem/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whilst I have bought his book by him about the Simpsons and their Mathematical secrets I watch too little of the Simpsons to properly appreciate the book and have only got into the first few pages when I last picked it up.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

no three positive integers a, b, and c satisfy the equation a^n + b^n = c^n for any integer value of n strictly greater than two

When I was 8 years old I had a proof for this but it is too large to fit in here so I can't be bothered :lol: :lol:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

JaneEyre wrote:Post a bit off a tangent but still linked to maths! :lol: :lol:

The film was out today, watched it with my wife and 11 year old this evening.It was a beautiful, gentle film requiring no knowledge of mathematics.I don't want to say too much as it may spoil the viewing of anyone who may wish to see it.

These holidays also watched my name is Malala with my youngest which we'd recorded on National Geographic.The film, Malala and her father are truly inspirational.It was not what I expected as I had anticipated a documentary.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

(a bit of humour) :wink:

Due to the present climate, poor mathematicians will have to think twice before solving equations in a public place in the future! :lol:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05 ... senger-al/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited to add the article from the Washington Post as it is more thorough.

Here are the final paragraphs with a lovely ironic last sentence... related to this thread!
Rising xenophobia stoked by the presidential campaign, he suggested, may soon make things worse for people who happen to look a little other-ish.

“What might prevent an epidemic of paranoia? It is hard not to recognize in this incident, the ethos of [Donald] Drumpf’s voting base,” he wrote.

In this true parable of 2016 I see another worrisome lesson, albeit one also possibly relevant to Drumpf’s appeal: That in America today, the only thing more terrifying than foreigners is…math.
BNN

Post by BNN »

JaneEyre wrote:Quasi,

Srinivas Ramanujam was a great Mathematician ... I am not sure of the present day kids but we grew up learning a lot about him from school. I also remember going to the Ramanujam museum. I am looking forward to watching this movie.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now