Should Britain vote to remain or exit the European Union ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JamesDean

Re: Should Britain vote to remain or exit the European Union

Post by JamesDean »

mystery wrote:In general though, over 50s have a higher turnout on polling day than younger ones .... so there's a real possibility that this could result in an exit vote unless a higher proporition of younger ones than usual get themselves down the polling station. Does this sound right from everything you better informed people have read?
Not sure I am better informed in the midst of all the hype and propaganda from both sides, but yes, I have heard this too Mystery. I have urged my parents not to think of themselves when voting but their grandkids, as the younger generation will have to live with the consequences far longer than they will ...

I have also tried to get them to stop reading the Torygraph, but Mom says she prefers the crossword ... !

JD
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Hopefully it will be like the Indyref in Scotland, with a turnout of over 90%. There is too much at stake.
succeed

Post by succeed »

Anyone else got concerns about the impending TTIP if we remain in EU? This my main concern. Whilst I agree that we cannot trust the Tories with employment and human rights issues if we leave, at least we could still vote them out , knowing a radical reforms will undoubtedly ensue for the following term; would this still be the case following implementation of the TTIP if we remain?
salsa

Post by salsa »

succeed wrote:Anyone else got concerns about the impending TTIP if we remain in EU? This my main concern. Whilst I agree that we cannot trust the Tories with employment and human rights issues if we leave, at least we could still vote them out , knowing a radical reforms will undoubtedly ensue for the following term; would this still be the case following implementation of the TTIP if we remain?
Scary stuff, but I could see this government negotiating to belong to TTIP whether in Europe or not.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 79688.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Imho, Mr Gove's onslaught on his friend Mr Cameron is rather despicable... Poor polititicans!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 90241.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
um

Post by um »

As soon as I found out that Michael Gove wanted to be out, I resolved to vote to stay in.

This is a perfectly logical way to decide what to do imho...always do the opposite of whatever Gove says :lol:
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I felt that way about Gove too.

I hate myself for being like that! Irrational. But he is really annoying, and I am not even a teacher.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

um wrote:As soon as I found out that Michael Gove wanted to be out, I resolved to vote to stay in.
:lol: :lol:
That is a way to make this important decision! To be honest, I had not thought about this way of thinking! :wink:
Our poor children who are left with his legacy in schools... :( :(
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Me, too! My instinct tells me to go against anything that Mr Gove advocates. :lol:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I don't disagree with your opinion of Gove... or Hunt .vs. the junior doctors... or the plans to make all school academies...

It's a bit depressing really.

However, I really don't think that the UK can absorb another 3,000,000 people within the next 14 years as suggested by the government prediction from yesterday.

IMHO Migration under EU rules is truly broken and it will destroy any hope you have for a decent pension and health care in old age. The majority of the western world is broke, it can't expand it's infrastructure to cope with the influx (hence the crazy 7-day week NHS nonsense).
Animis opibusque parati
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now