Should Britain vote to remain or exit the European Union ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

Re: Should Britain vote to remain or exit the European Union

Post by salsa »

mystery wrote::lol:
Remainr4remoanr
Good name! I must say that the term remoaner makes me chuckle, even though I'm one! I'm still hoping for the Scottish connection, the only thing is that I do hope we're not related to Trump! :lol:
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

One of the issues we are all facing is the increasing polarisation of views, to some extent exacerbated by social media. The phenomenon is that people are increasingly associating with people who only share their own views, 'liking' people with their own opinion and 'unliking' those who contradict their own. Over time they end up in a homogenous group but get a reduced world view... the term for this being Homophily. Increasingly they re-enforce this by reading news that fits their own world view and consider contrary news to be fake (and justify this with reference to real hoaxes/propaganda).

Therefore I propose that Remoandr should match you with someone of the opposite persuasion and that the first meeting should take place in a dark pod with no weapons allowed.

One couple at a time we can learn to love each other again. :lol:
Animis opibusque parati
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol:

Well the Remainr with the EU passport could be of the opposite persuasion and a strong supporter of Mrs May's Oppositesattract'er theory.

But yes, I suppose calling it Remainr4remoanr does suggest the kind of annoying cliquiness you are suggesting could become more rife over time.

But in a way isn't this possibly a direct side effect of the approach to Brexit that is being pursued - the sharp focus on what "sort" of people should be allowed to enter Britain/US or continue to reside in Britain/US could start more people thinking about "difference" in a way they never might have bothered to before and it could spread to all sorts of issues. It could take people back to being very narrow and parochial before we know it. Hopefully it won't!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Do you think the app will work for Farage?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 64811.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I always thought that taking the whole United Kingdom out of Europe was a bit extreme if he wanted to get rid of his wife and family!

The truth is out! He had also said that he wanted to spend more time in France and it turns out he has a French girlfriend.

Salsa
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh dear, if the Oppositesattract'er app works for Nigel and he leaves'er, some poor Remoanr is going to have to get used to him regularly calling her a traitr.

I suppose it could match him with a Front National membr instead of his current French bin emptyr; that would work well as he couldn't indoctrinate'er.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

There has also been unconfirmed reports that Farage tried to apply for a german passport the day after the referendum. However I've only seen it reported in one place, so not to be taken seriously as it stands at the moment.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Tinkers wrote:There has also been unconfirmed reports that Farage tried to apply for a german passport the day after the referendum. However I've only seen it reported in one place, so not to be taken seriously as it stands at the moment.
Time will tell. As he likes France so much, I'm sure he's working on his "retirement plan"! I wonder what his children think.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

It is rather interesting that for all his determination to extract the UK from the EU, Nigel Farage's personal interests seem to lie with ladies from the EU countries.... What made me giggle a bit was the fact the his French lady friend's surname is Ferrari - would that reflect his hidden desire for a fancy car? Apparently he drives a Volvo (or at least drove one last year). :wink: Note: I have nothing against Volvos, not in the slightest. https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... oliticians" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Would the Remoandr app just be for iPhones?

I wonder if there is a correlation between iPhone ownership and voting to remain?

Disclosure: I have an Android phone.

:lol:
Animis opibusque parati
Amber

Post by Amber »

iPhone here. 100% Apple girl and 100% remain.
I could never date someone with an Android phone! :wink: