exclusions

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Eccentric

exclusions

Post by Eccentric »

There is an article in the Oxford Mail about the number of exclusions that some schools are giving http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/145204 ... of_pupils/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is an enormous concern. My view is that exclusions should be given very carefully. I have seen a number of good kids that have been a little bit misled go completely astray after an exclusion. It gives the message that the have crossed a line and that they are now a bad kid so may as well behave like one.
Of course there is a place for exclusion if a child is definitely already a danger to others but I think that is the only circumstance in which they should be handed out.
kenyancowgirl

Re: exclusions

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Whilst there may be an increase in the number of exclusions - and I firmly believe that some of these are linked to the increasing lack of respect teachers are held in and consequences of this - I don't agree that they should only be used when a child is a danger to others. If a child consistently flouts rules that everyone else diligently obeys, and all the other sanctions have been used, up the ladder of sanctions, getting progressively more serious, then what other option is open to a school?

For example, if a student smokes on school premises again and again - or takes drugs/alcohol? Not being dangerous to others but clearly in breach of school regulations...and happening more often than any school would care to admit.

A truly good kid, who has been misled, is more likely to get a kick up the backside from their parents (and themselves), if they have a one or two day exclusion and NOT get to the point of permanent exclusion, rather than continue to misbehave to the point of no return.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I'm with KCG on this one.
The lack of respect for teachers is appalling at times. I'm sure schools don't exclude unless they feel there are no other effective options.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Getting to the point of permanent exclusion takes a long time, and often by then the relationship between the school and the young person and their family is irretrievable. A clean start at a new school can make a huge difference all round and be a positive move.

JD
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

Department of Education - A profile of pupil exclusions in England

"Pupils with a Statement of Educational Needs are almost seven times more limely to receive a permanent exclusion than pupils with no SEN"
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I wonder how that correlates with SEN resources in the schools with the highest numbers of exclusions. I suppose we could guess the answer...
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

PurpleDuck wrote:I wonder how that correlates with SEN resources in the schools with the highest numbers of exclusions. I suppose we could guess the answer...
Hmm, I hate to say this, but it doesn't necessarily follow. DS1 had some problems when he was younger; our primary school at that point had a 'behavioural unit' and he was duly 'transferred' into it. After a couple of days, I was told that 'because of his behaviour', he was being sent home for two days. When I pointed out that surely dealing with his problems was why he was there, I was told that as the teacher in charge was pregnant, it was unsafe for her to be expected to deal with challenging behaviour... :evil: . No doubt the school was being well rewarded financially for providing the 'service'. (Rather like the - very large, I seem to remember - sum they were given to host a 'Community Internet Café'. At the time, they were manically organising things so that not even parents were allowed onto the premises, so the likelihood that random members of the public were going to be allowed over the threshold to use the shiny new computers they installed was vanishingly slim).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

So they had a 'behavioural unit' but could not use it for what it was intended because the staff member assigned to it would be at risk... Why couldn't they put someone else in charge of it? Or were they expecting it would be populated by perfectly behaved children? :shock: This could be quoted as an example of how statistics can be totally misleading... From what you've said, ToadMum, it seems quite similar to their handling of the ''community' internet café... which community exactly? :roll:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)