PlayStation 4

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Carolestress

PlayStation 4

Post by Carolestress »

How much is too much playing on PS4 during GCSE exams? My twins play for around 2 hrs to unwind after each exam day. What are thoughts of more seasoned patents please? So stressed about it.
kenyancowgirl

Re: PlayStation 4

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Not a seasoned GCSE parent but suspect you know the answer to this already. 2 hours in my opinion is way too long - exams or no exams - they would do better going and getting some fresh air....or practising their maths!!!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is not really unwinding. Why don't you unwind together as a family?

It is a shame to let gadgets dominate your family time.

When is the next exam? We have exams coming thick and fast so it is straight home and onto the next one. I am amazed they get fit two hours of playing in after every exam.

What is their normal playtime? DG
Amber

Post by Amber »

We have never had one of these or anything similar as my lot are not interested in games consoles, but they wouldn't usually work again in an evening after an exam. I always think they should take it easy for the rest of the day if they can, so I suppose if the way your twins like to unwind is on one of these things then 2 hours would be perfectly reasonable.
copella

Post by copella »

Do you think it is too much as that is what counts? Both my sons get out a lot as both play sports however they also play on the ps4 using it as a way to unwind after exams. If it completely dominated their lives I would have a problem but it doesn't.
KB

Post by KB »

It does sound like a lot. Is it all at one time?

The length of break they take depends on their schedule and how much revision they are still doing. If they are really well prepared then maybe on some days they don't need to do much work as well as an exam but it would be unusual.

Mine have never played for more than an hour at a time - just personal opinion.
During exam time they are using their eyes and their brains a lot indoors so if they can really afford a two hour chill time then I'd make half of it outdoors, non-screen and brain down time.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

I have an Xbox addict at home but he was not allowed to use it during his exams week at all. He will be doing his maths GCSE this week, so I let him play yesterday and today for a bit and there will be no more before the exam. This is simply because computer games really tire their brains out, affect their ability to concentrate and quality of sleep. I'm encouraging him to get outside or read to wind down in-between the exams.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
KB

Post by KB »

It's tricky to impose new rules during exam time as everyone wants to keep things calm so compromise may be needed. Imposing a total ban could be counter productive at this point even if it is in theory 'best'.
Parenting is such fun!
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

KB wrote:It's tricky to impose new rules during exam time as everyone wants to keep things calm so compromise may be needed. Imposing a total ban could be counter productive at this point even if it is in theory 'best'.
Parenting is such fun!
I agree it could be tricky, but luckily DS seems to understand where I'm coming from so we avoided any disagreements. We've always had an 'Xbox moratorium' during the end of year exams, so I guess he is just used to it. Plus it's not a total ban, Friday night and Saturday are 'cheat days'. Yes, joys of parenting are never ending. :lol:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Carolestress

Post by Carolestress »

I left this post open on my screen and child has read the comments; lets just say play is less last 2 days
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now