End of the track for HS2?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Loopyloulou

End of the track for HS2?

Post by Loopyloulou »

The timing of yesterday's announcement that the brakes should be put on HS2 is interesting.
I have always believed (I think I read it somewhere) that HS2 is, at heart, an EU project - part of the grand plan to have a pan-European high speed rail network - and therefore the funding was coming in large part from the EU on a "take it or leave it" basis, that being the real reason why the politicians were all backing such an unpopular and unnecessary project.
It now seems that HS2 might be one of the first casualties (or successes, depending upon your opinion) of Brexit.

What next? Might work be about to start on Boris Island?
Loopy
Guest55

Re: End of the track for HS2?

Post by Guest55 »

That is the first positive I have heard - HS2 was always a crazy project.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Loopyloulou wrote:What next? Might work be about to start on Boris Island?
Better not be, he can fliipin' we'll leave Kent alone :evil:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I hope note as the projection would have led to a lot of regeneration in the West Midlands in the areas surrounding Birmingham.Particularly with the opening of new Tram lines and reopening disused Railway lines to ease traffic flows and to allow renewal of the industrial wastelands.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... e-11532469" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Regeneration could happen much more effectively without spending 56 billion on a white elephant project like HS2.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Those of us on the route who will see our beautiful countryside destroyed for absolutely no economic gain are very pleased that the brakes are being applied, and particularly for our pear tree - http://www.treeoftheyear.org/Letosni-ro ... lang=en-US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D

JD
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Another possible project to become a white elephant is the Hinkley Point regeneration.