EU referendum result is not legally binding

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaneEyre

Re: EU referendum result is not legally binding

Post by JaneEyre »

Stroller wrote:That paragraph does not trump the point about parliamentary sovereignty. I'm not saying parliament will override the result of the referendum, I'm saying they can. It's a choice. Still.
Oh I agree that this aragraph does not trump the point about parliament sovereignty; I posted this yesterday concerning a MP who urges Commons vote to block brexit:
JaneEyre wrote:Labour MP Urges Commons Vote To Block Brexit
http://news.sky.com/story/1717556/labou ... ock-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has more MPs become vocal conerning this matter? It is so hard to keep on top of all the news and debates...

What I am 'looking for' is a mechanism in the constitution that could stop the implosion of the UK as NI and Scotland want to walk away due to the results of the referendum. I am persuaded that some people behind close doors are at work with this aspect... but the question is how to keep the country united; hence why so far on the news, politicians say that the decision of the voters has to be respected... But at the same time, so many Britons search more about the EU after the referendum! And so many regret their vote:
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk ... -1.2700194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

JaneEyre wrote:
Stroller wrote:That paragraph does not trump the point about parliamentary sovereignty. I'm not saying parliament will override the result of the referendum, I'm saying they can. It's a choice. Still.
Oh I agree that this aragraph does not trump the point about parliament sovereignty; I posted this yesterday concerning a MP who urges Commons vote to block brexit:
JaneEyre wrote:Labour MP Urges Commons Vote To Block Brexit
http://news.sky.com/story/1717556/labou ... ock-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Has more MPs become vocal conerning this matter? It is so hard to keep on top of all the news and debates...
Here are a few hints about the parliamentary sovereignty

Is the referendum legally binding?

In theory, the Prime Minister could ignore the referendum result, put the question to a parliamentary debate and gamble on the majority of MPs voting to remain.

This is because parliament is sovereign and referendums are generally not binding in the UK.

Had the 2011 referendum on changing the electoral system to alternative vote been successful, the Government would have been obliged to change the law. However, no such provision was contained within the EU referendum legislation.

source:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... on-brexit/
Last edited by JaneEyre on Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Can I politely request that members don't use "mod blue" to highlight text or put links?
Yoyo
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Sorry, I forgot about this rule as I am still under the shock of the referendum's results. :oops: I amended the colour in my last post. :D
Concerning the links, they do appear in blue automatically.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

yoyo123 wrote:
JaneEyre wrote:Sorry, I forgot about this rule as I am still under the shock of the referendum's results. :oops: I amended the colour in my last post. :D
Concerning the links, they do appear in blue automatically.
Thank you, Doh! Of course links are blue..my brain is still in turmoil over the result as well!
Carolestress

Post by Carolestress »

Seems a bit silly to have offered the referendum now
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I think it's all very well people saying the remain voters need to accept the results of the referendum BUT going by those results nearly half the people wanted to stay and realistically by the time an exit was achieved, of the people who voted, it's a fair assumption that the majority of those still living would have voted to remain!
Carolestress

Post by Carolestress »

It's called democracy; with such a harsh campaign the losers will feel it even worse. Now we must come together and reunite.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Nicola Sturgeon threatens to block Brexit in face of English fury
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/nic ... ailsignout" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carolestress

Post by Carolestress »

Wonder what her stance would have been if parliament had blocked a Yes vote by the Scots for independence a couple of years back. Its got to be a level playing field.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now