Summer holiday reads?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
loobylou

Summer holiday reads?

Post by loobylou »

Any suggestions of new-ish books or books that any of you have relatively recently discovered?
I need some ideas for holiday reading for myself and my 11 year old ds and 13 year old dd. We have a relaxed pool holiday booked and are therefore going to be reading quite a lot.
All of us are fiendishly fast readers and therefore don't want anything too short or straightforward. On the other hand I don't particularly want to be wading through War and Peace either. I do like meaty biographies - on my last pool holiday I read "Long Walk to Freedom" as an example.
I've looked at other threads but they are generally asking for quick and easy reads.
Does anyone have any suggestions that one or all of us might enjoy? (Hoping we might be able to spread the books around this year).
Thanks in advance.
JaneEyre

Re: Summer holiday reads?

Post by JaneEyre »

loobylou wrote: I do like meaty biographies
I haven't had time to read them yet so I cannot comment but I wish to read one day both these biographies (which get excellent feedback):
Max Perkins: Editor of Genius by A. Scott Berg
Siegfried Sassoon: A Biography by Max Egremont
solimum

Re: Summer holiday reads?

Post by solimum »

"The daughters of Mars" by Thomas Keneally is a "big" read about Australian sisters who served as nurses in WWI - read this while touring the Flanders battlefields last spring

"American Wife" by Curtis Sittenfeld is a fictionalised account of the life of Laura Bush and a fascinating read

Should keep you going for a day or two! (you would have to read them first to decide if they were suitable for your daughters)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now