tween concerts in summer

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: tween concerts in summer

Post by ToadMum »

PettswoodFiona wrote:If you are anywhere near London then O2 customers often get priority booking for events at the O2 venue. Smaller London venues however like the Old Royal Naval college at Greenwich are less daunting than the big venues like the O2. DH bought DD some tickets for her birthday and promptly said he was unable to go on that day so it looks like I will be accompanying 3 tweens to see Little Mix in July. Heelllllp!
Not a gig, but DH found himself buying a ticket for The Book of Mormon' when DD booked tickets for herself and a friend online and then noticed that they were actually two years too young to watch the show unaccompanied :roll: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

ToadMum wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote:If you are anywhere near London then O2 customers often get priority booking for events at the O2 venue. Smaller London venues however like the Old Royal Naval college at Greenwich are less daunting than the big venues like the O2. DH bought DD some tickets for her birthday and promptly said he was unable to go on that day so it looks like I will be accompanying 3 tweens to see Little Mix in July. Heelllllp!
Not a gig, but DH found himself buying a ticket for The Book of Mormon' when DD booked tickets for herself and a friend online and then noticed that they were actually two years too young to watch the show unaccompanied :roll: .
:lol: It's very good. I hope you aren't easily offended :shock:
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
:lol: It's very good. I hope you aren't easily offended :shock:
Definitely not (either of us) :lol: . He went on his own, though...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

scary mum wrote:
Over the last few years Reading has become very much a post GCSE festival, a younger and more peaceful and polite crowd in general.

So anyone else got kids going?
Without wishing to scare monger, this things I have heard about it have been less complimentary, with a huge amounts of under age drinking as well as a lot of drug taking. However this is all hearsay, and hopefully most teenagers know how to behave. I would let mine go if they wanted to, as they are reasonably sensible, but it has only been mentioned in passing, the the most likely one to want to go (DS2) won't get round to organising tickets unless someone does it for him!
DS survived Reading last summer, had a ball, came back smelly, over tired and very hungry but pleased he went. I asked if he was going again this year to be told that he's glad he did it but it's something to be done once and not again!
PettswoodFiona wrote:DH bought DD some tickets for her birthday and promptly said he was unable to go on that day so it looks like I will be accompanying 3 tweens to see Little Mix in July. Heelllllp!
Don't worry PWF there will be hundreds of parents/carers there. A few moons ago I accompanied our neice to a Boyzone concert and about a third of the audience were over the age of 35 :D I think that was the last time I was "cool" in someone's eyes :lol: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Amber

Post by Amber »

doodles wrote:A few moons ago I accompanied our neice to a Boyzone concert and about a third of the audience were over the age of 35 I think that was the last time I was "cool" in someone's eyes
I have been looking for a way to share this and now I have an excuse so thanks doodles (hi doodles you've been away a while - hanging out at cool places obviously x).

A student I work with recently sent me a message (via one of these messaging platforms that cool people use) and it ended: 'You are the coolest person I know 8) '. Exactly like that. I had to check as this person's first language is not English so I needed to know that it meant the same thing but it does! My children haven't stopped laughing yet.

That kind of mocking, pitying laugh which also resurfaced this weekend when I posted for the first time ever on a Facebook thing (BBC news night story) and got 1400 'likes' (only one from someone I know - thank you fellow-forumite) and felt maybe I needed to rethink my strategy for revolution - from academia to Facebook. 'It doesn't mean anything mum, everyone gets that' was the put-down.

Anyway, as you were. Festivals far too scary and loud for me :)
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

Taking my DD + friend to Little Mix in July also, dreading it as I really do not like them or their music. Ear plugs? :lol:
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I am the same in July, Little Mix with DD. Will have to pick her up after school and do tea enroute, but I am now the cool parent. Then in the Autumn I have another pop concert at Wembley with lots of trendy groups I gave never even heard of and lots of tweens.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My DD wants to go to musicals instead. Still no interest in going to Reading Festival. That may change next year after GCSEs of any of her friends show an interest, but I suspect not.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I find tweendom a whole new mine field. DD is 10 so only edging into tweendom (I think....not sure when it starts). Mum everyone wears crop tops! Nobody wears dresses! I only want to wear shorts....I get so hot! She is very excited though as her best friends older sister is taking them to see Little Mix. Goodness only knows what she will want to wear to see them! We've just been given a hand me down leopard print mac type coat from cousins. She is ever so keen but I am ever so thinking 'can you handle the attention you might get looking like a 14 year old?' I want to allow her some rope but no idea how much is good aaaaaargh :lol: :roll:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

We have had the Reading discussion but she didn't fancy enough bands to want to go this year, even for the day with us. She is still thinking of going with friends next year after GCSEs though.
We are taking her to see Green Day in the summer (her birthday present) but also dragging her to see Kraftwerk (Daddy's present!). DH took her to Hammy Odeon (as it was in my day) a couple of weeks ago to see All Time Low (Christmas present) which was apparently 'one of the best nights of her life'. Musicals are still big too - we'll probably do Miss Saigon in Southampton next year when it comes.

DD is fine with camping but gets intimidated by groups of drunk people and has no interest in alcohol (or anything more harmful) so she is probably still too young/naïve for a festival.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now