Foundation Grammar Schools v Foundation Secondary Schools

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
albeck

Foundation Grammar Schools v Foundation Secondary Schools

Post by albeck »

Hi
Foundation grammar schools and foundation secondary schools, does anyone know how they differ, funding, LEA control etc?

I noticed that only the secondary school in our area had a report on the Ofsted website, the grammar school didn't.

Thanks Alan.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello Alan,

They don't differ other than that the Grammar schools can select on ability.

For the Ofsted reports try going in via the Directgov website - its easier to find the reports quickly by accessing the link from the school listing in 'find schools'
albeck

Post by albeck »

Alex wrote:Hello Alan,

They don't differ other than that the Grammar schools can select on ability.

For the Ofsted reports try going in via the Directgov website - its easier to find the reports quickly by accessing the link from the school listing in 'find schools'

Hello Alex

I'll try the above site, etc.
Are all foundation schools under LEA control?
Alex

Post by Alex »

Foundation Schools are run by their own governing body which employs the staff and sets the admission criteria and they either own their own buildings and land or hold them through a charitable body or trust. Community schools follow the Local authority admissions criteria; their buildings and land are owned by the LA who also employ the staff. Both types of school, however, receive their funding through the Local Authority.

Post by Guest »

Alex wrote:Foundation Schools are run by their own governing body which employs the staff and sets the admission criteria and they either own their own buildings and land or hold them through a charitable body or trust. Community schools follow the Local authority admissions criteria; their buildings and land are owned by the LA who also employ the staff. Both types of school, however, receive their funding through the Local Authority.
Hi Alex

Is it just the admissions criteria that differs from community schools or does the LA have some say over the running of foundation grammar schools, I guess the governing body have more control here, correct me if I'm wrong?

Post by Guest »

Albeck,

Inspections are carried out by OFSTED rather than the LEA and they are basically the same whether the school is a foundation or community school (or, indeed, an academy). Unless the school in which you are interested is very new, or has changed it's name in the last few years, you should be able to find it in the reports section on the OFSTED website.

If it's not there then, I know this sounds patronising, but are you absolutely sure that it is a state school and not private? Some former direct-grant grammar schools chose to go private rather than become comprehensives when grammar schools were abolished in most of the country. Most of these retain the name "**** grammar school" (eg Manchester Grammar School), as do a few that are now state (comprehensives (eg Ilkley Grammar School). The former will not be OFSTED inspected, the latter will.

As regards LEA control, they still hold the purse strings so I imagine that they still have some input. The biggest restriction on state schools (foundation schools included) is however probably the very prescriptive national curriculum which they are all obliged to follow. The freedom to set their own curriculum is perhaps the biggest advantage independent schools have over their state counterparts.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now