Rio 2016

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Rio 2016

Post by doodles »

Anybody else enjoying the Olympics?

I'm afraid the time difference isn't doing anything for my eyebags but we are glued to it. Thank goodness that it's the summer holiday and no school/work. Just loving watching less mainstream sports, tonight's offering being fencing which we know absolutely nothing about.

And what about the 41 year old woman gymnast (Russian?) who's doing well in the vault....there's hope for me yet :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
ToadMum

Re: Rio 2016

Post by ToadMum »

We are watching the opening ceremony for the second time at the moment - saw most of it on the night but put it on again because DS2 wanted to watch it, but he watched about twenty minutes then went to bed! It was really well done, I thought (the ceremony, not DS2's exit!).

One thing we are finding very odd is the presentation of the swimming - the great chunks of rather eerie visuals but no commentary in between the races. Rather as if we should have the 'chat and analysis' bit at that point but someone forgot to press the right switch on the board? Be interesting to see what happens tonight (when we catch up with the recording tomorrow, we're not staying up all night, however keen on swimming we are :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Saw the high-tech fencing. Very geeky!

Watched the last 30km or so of the cycling yesterday and today. Caught today's crash live and was afraid it was fatal. I hope Annemiek van Vleuten survives and manages to recover. What a challenging course.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Her crash was hideous, I felt sick. Unfortunately the Olympic newslink didn't sound great stating that's she's breathing and communicating :? I do hope that there's better new in the morning.

Ds's are planning a late nighter due to the swimming.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
doodles

Post by doodles »

Woken up to good news for the Dutch cyclist. I understand she has a severe concussion and three fractured vertebrae but we honestly thought her crash was either fatal or a broken neck. Hope she makes a full recovery.

DS couldn't stay awake for the swimming, but more good news there too with the two medals. The big names in the tennis seem to be falling thick and fast it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Happy watching...
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I must admit after the exhilaration of the London Olympics its been really difficult to get into the games .The negative but truthful news about doping regarding Russian and other competitors, crime,the readiness of venues,pollution,the zika virus and other negative news stories have all dominated.The fact we are in the middle of wedding season has meant most weekends and some weekdays taken up, leaving sport at bay even missing Liverpool beating Barcelona on TV.

My eldest dd's "special" friend is flying out today with a number of his colleagues at the giant UK pharma firm who while working on research into a cure for Zika will be provided in their down time tickets to events.A number of his colleagues went to the opening ceremony.My dd was very jealous while she has to intern in Central London.

I thought the opening ceremony was quite spectacular particularly the themes about Brazil and global warming and how rising sea levels would affect certain cities.My youngest has been inspired by the women's events from Rugby sevens to the synchronised diving,the road race to the gymnastics.We also loved the men's table tennis and the fencing.For my part to see how the technology in fencing had changed in 35 years was an eye opener.I remember competing at a very junior level like a puppet on a string with the electric wires dangling behind you but under tension as you wheeled in and out.Even the scoring systems had changed.The foil was pretty much the same except it appeared to be much more malleable.

We are gradually getting into the games maybe the sport can now take over.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Double trap shooting on now!

I remember being so nervous watching our chap win Gold in London. At one point I had to go and walk round the garden as I could not bare to watch.

:lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Very much enjoyed the Test match cricket yesterday too! What a win :)
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Sorry it was single trap shooting.... We've just won a Bronze! Well done Ed Ling.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Very much enjoyed the Test match cricket yesterday too! What a win :)
We were out with friends all day yesterday so didn't get to watch it. I thought it was nice of Cook to declare to give Pakistan a sporting chance, though :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now