Printer recommendations

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: Printer recommendations

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks, PettswoodFiona. Unfortunately hubby has put a price limit on a new printer and that recommendation smashes it :lol: Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket first and see what happens!
timothylewin

Post by timothylewin »

Actually Laser printers work out a lot cheaper in the long run; especially when kids are printing mini rain forests every night
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

With the inkjet we have, they have quite large tanks for ink, 70ml for each colour. Epson charge £8 for a set of inks. It should last about 2 years for average family printer usage.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I did a search for this thread (to see when we bought this printer) as I’ve just got to the point where I think I might have to order some black ink. It’s just over 2 years. :D

It’s still going strong. The coloured ink tanks are all still 3/4 full, it’s only the black that’s probably down to about 10% full.

Bearing in mind DD was printing out loads of gcse papers etc, plus coursework stuff over the last two years it has done well.

We do find the nozzles need a clean every now and again, but apart from that it’s great.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Tinkers wrote:I did a search for this thread (to see when we bought this printer) as I’ve just got to the point where I think I might have to order some black ink. It’s just over 2 years. :D

It’s still going strong. The coloured ink tanks are all still 3/4 full, it’s only the black that’s probably down to about 10% full.

Bearing in mind DD was printing out loads of gcse papers etc, plus coursework stuff over the last two years it has done well.

We do find the nozzles need a clean every now and again, but apart from that it’s great.
Tinkers, we did follow your advice (amid independent research) and went for the same model :D It is fantastic! Yes the nozzles do need a clean every now and again (only when DS is in a hurry :lol: ) but so far it has been a real bonus not having to worry about the ink and the copying and scanning have been a godsend this year. I really do think it was one of our best buys (touching wood here just in case) so thank you for the recommendation.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Ours is still going strong too. We are on the second lot of ink as DC were printing out loads of pass papers last May/June. Very please that we went for this model. It has been money well spent.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Given how much printer cartridges cost and how long they lasted, compared to how long the inks have lasted, it was definitely worth getting.

Also, looking at how much laser printers cost (and cost of replacement toners which is some what more eyewatering), it was defintely worth getting instead of one of those too.

I tend to switch to b&w printing unless I really need the colour, so would in part explain why the black is starting to run low and the colours aren’t.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

I have the Epson EcoTank L355, sounds very similar to Tinkers printer in that it has 4 separate ink tanks that sit on the side of the printer.

It's the best Printer I have ever owned, I've had it over 2 1/2 years and have only topped up the ink a couple of months ago for the first time and I (and DC!) do a lot of printing.

It was more expensive than a lot of printers but well worth it.

I buy the ink bottles from Amazon at £6.50-£6.98 a bottle. (these are the Epson ink not a cheap alternative)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Epson-C13T6643 ... 2Bink&th=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd highly recommend this range of Epson printers if you're looking for a very ecomomical printer.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Yes ours is an Eco tank one too.

I topped up the black today, but certainly don’t need to top up the colours.

I’ve forgotten the panic caused by cartridges running out mid print run.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Tinkers wrote:Yes ours is an Eco tank one too.

I topped up the black today, but certainly don’t need to top up the colours.

I’ve forgotten the panic caused by cartridges running out mid print run.
Same here, it's only the black that i've topped up (still some left in the bottle) I've probably got another few months with the colours.

It's a fabulous printer.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now