Printer recommendations

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Blitz

Re: Printer recommendations

Post by Blitz »

Last Sunday our printer stopped working and after a long discussion and lots of googling we decided on a laser printer.

A trip to PC World ended with no colour laser printers actually stocked in store so we came away (after reading reviews etc) with an Epson 2550 ecotank ink system printer... £200 but it colour prints, scans, photocopies and costs only £10 to refill each ink tank. It is supposed to do 2000 prints per ink fill.

So far so good. It seems like we had a similar experience a week apart, Tinkers.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I got offered £25 cash back on mine, which I've just claimed.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

No cash back, but I said 'Epson 10' when I got to the till and the assistant gave me 10% off the price so £179.99. It was an online offer but I thought I would try it in-store and it worked. :D

I just hope the printer is worth the money in the long run. At least if it breaks it does not have £160 worth of toner in it!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Any update on how your new Epson printers are working out? Many thanks in advance as we are still trying to find a new printer :-)
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Ours is working brilliantly. We have done quite a bit of printing and the ink wells are still 3/4 full. The print quality is very good too.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'm very happy with ours. DH printed out a couple of reports for DD (running into hoards of pages :roll: and wasn't necessary).

Quality seems pretty good, and of course we aren't getting print outs with a colour missing when yet another cartridge bites the dust.

Excellent app for iPad that allows printing and scanning, which has been very useful. I can save scans as jpg or PDF.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like it might still be an option for us. One other question, if you don't mind. How often do you find your DCs need to do printing for school? My DS is Yr8 and doesn't really have a lot of printing at the moment (does the amount ramp up in later years?), which worries me because if we go for inkjet then there is a chance it will just sit there and the ink will just dry up... or does that not happen with this type of printer? Many thanks for any extra advice you can offer :-)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD usually has at least one thing to print off during the week and if she doesn't one of us does. (Cinema tickets was the last one at the weekend).
I have not had a problem with ink drying up.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks for the reply Tinkers. I am just watching a load of video reviews to see if I can glean any more information but a personal recommendation is always good :-)
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Any update on how your new Epson printers are working out? Many thanks in advance as we are still trying to find a new printer :-)
Not an Epson but the Brother printer I mentioned upthread DCP-L8400CDN A4 Colour All-In-One Laser Printer is working a dream, I am really glad with my purchase.