Is GB under attack from Russia ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

Is GB under attack from Russia ?

Post by quasimodo »

Over the last few years as I observe events it is my view GB and its allies are constantly under attack either directly or indirectly.Whether this is through the constant probing which is taking place of UK air and sea defenses by Soviet planes and submarines or their military manoeuvres. The pressures they are placing on neighboring states and their unlawful occupation of Crimea with the limited impact by the West.Their moving of Turkey into their sphere of influence following the overthrow attempts.The murder on the streets of London through their agents.The proxy war being fought in Syria between the West,Saudi Arabia and its middle east allies against Russia and Iran.The constant votes in the UN and the Security council against western interests.It was alarming to hear this week GB could not on its own withstand a conventional Soviet military attack.

However my interest was brought into sharp focus when I see that following the Soviet state sponsored drug taking of its athletes and the bans of some of them in the Olympics and the whole of their team in the Paralympics, how the countries intelligence agencies and its hackers are targeting British athletes to hack their medical records to suggest they are cheating when they are doing no such thing.Their war by stealth continues.They clearly want Donald Trump to win in the USA by undermining the Democrats and due to Trumps business dealings with Russia.I believe a Trump victory is not in GB's best interests and the Russians are clearly trying to help their preferred candidate win.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... -hack-team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://time.com/4433880/donald-trump-ties-to-russia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
mystery

Re: Is GB under attack from Russia ?

Post by mystery »

That is a thought-provoking take on current events. Any views on putin's views on brexit?
piggys

Post by piggys »

I agree with most of what you say about Russia; the golden days of Glasnost died with the overthrow of Gorbachev, IMO. However, if you envisage an actual military attack upon British soil I would have to disagree with you. The US would immediately align itself with GB which would have catastrophic consequence for Russia.

The relationship between the west and Russia is at an all time low since the end of the cold war though. I have very serious fears about the long term consequences of what the US and Russia are doing in Syria. I think the war in Syria will not be ending any time soon. The election of Trump - which is a distinct possibility - would ensure further deterioration in the middle east to name but one region.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

...I am sure I am not the only one that thinks, whilst the athletes may not be cheating in the absolute sense of the laws, the fact that they are knowingly taking medical drugs for afflictions they do not have, the result of which gives them a benefit, is still disheartening. Put it this way, I don't have your courage to assert that Britiah athletes "are doing no such thing".

Being second in teh medal table is not what it used to be. All it shows is that those countries which can afford to spend £££££ pumped into sport, and associated medics, equipment etc, make a big enough difference. For eg, the bikes the GB team have cost way more than most of the other countries...the technology in them or used to design them, the brains behind this technology, the money in the sport...let's not be fooled into thinking the Olympics now is anything but big business.

The Russians are making a point that whilst they have been caught, (and by they I mean some of thier athletes, not all), the margins between legality and not are very small - a drug that was allowed last year may not be allowed this year - deending on when you are tested can mean the dfference between pass or fail. There are plenty of athletes still competing that must be thinking, there but for the grace of god go I. Look at how long Lance Armstrong got away with it.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Being part of NATO, we have nothing to worry about to be honest, we don't even need Trident imho.

Putin is playing a dangerous game,he is a megalomaniac, it's the old Soviet Union countries that need to be afraid and not to mention Syria.

Brextix played right into Putin's hands and if Trump wins this will only embolden him further.

Divide and rule, an old trick-Putin has never had an original thought in his life but I would not underestimate the narcissist-he is quite capable of miscalculating our resolve and send us all into the abyss.

As for the GB success in the Olympics there seems to a direct relationship to financial investment and success-a bit like 11+ exams,just had to get that one in :lol: just couldn't resist it,I know,I know- even I'm beginning to bore myself.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I agree that Putin is a narcissist; he exhibits all the traits of one. The Russians adore him though. I have a good friend who is Russian (who lives in the UK) and she thinks he is marvellous. She views the Russian invasion and occupation of the Ukraine as Russia reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. She also believes that the majority of Ukrainians support it too.

I have absolutely no idea what the solution to the Syrian crisis is, but I was horrified watching the news last night. Russia is now using 'bunker buster' bombs in Aleppo which are designed to destroy underground targets, so they are annihilating the underground hospitals and such. Sometimes you just have to weep at what is happening. :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now