Perspectives on girls' clothing?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

copella

Re: Perspectives on girls' clothing?

Post by copella »

Hope this link works. The message we need to give our girls is be yourself. If it is allowed to stay up just don't read the comments as we could be on here for years :D

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialAnttix ... 892108220/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

copella wrote:I think we need to teach our boys that no is no, no matter how a girl looks. Or else all these rape trials where women are blamed for how they looked and men get off because they couldn't help themselves will continue.
I have been reading this discussion with interest.It is amazing how many myths exist about rape and rape trials.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/rape ... tal_myths/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Resurrecting this thread.

Slightly different, but while searching for a thread on short skirts and school uniform I came across this again.

DD's school has just tightened their sixth-form uniform rules. Short skirts are not allowed. But what constitutes a short skirt? Any skirt above the knee or one that is 6 inches above the knee? DD and I were shopping yesterday and it is virtually impossible to find skirts that are just an inch or two above the knee. They're either very short or 'nun-like' (not my words). I have no problem at all with nun-like skirts :D. The helpful sales assistant at Next suggested we order a skirt for tall girls in order to solve the problem, but it's not like she's 5'10'' or 5'11'! DD had absolutely no problem with the shortness of the skirts :x and we did argue. We managed to find one that was knee-length but she thought it was horrendous.

I wish the school had been clearer about the word 'short'. Clearly we all have different opinions on what that is. For now she'll be wearing smart trousers until we can clarify this in September. DD tells me that they'll be sent home if their dress isn't considered appropriate so I'm unwilling to risk the skirt for now.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

For sixth form, DDs School are a bit more helpful. I think from memory it says two thirds of the thigh needs to be covered (something like that anyway). She doesn’t tend to wear really short skirts so not an issue.

For the lower years, there’s a termly skirt inspection depending on who is the head of year. A couple of years ago DD has been told that ‘maybe’ her skirt is a little short but it’s borderline.
Given she wears the skirt recommended by the school, from the recommended supplier and it’s the longest length they do, I would have written to the school if they had said she needed a longer one (though many girls don’t wear the regulation one state on the uniform list anyway). It’s not like she is really tall, 5’5”, either. The following year, DD just adjusted her skirt a bit and got no comment.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks, Tinkers.

I had another look. It says skirts need to be 'of reasonable length'. Well, DD and I don't agree on what's 'reasonable'. Perhaps we can swap DDs?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’d say reasonable would be at least long enough for her to be able to bend down without any danger of her under garments showing.

However for the School policy to say that leaves a lot open to debate. I’m sure what one teacher thinks is OK another will think isn’t. Who decides?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I had been saying that DD's skirt was too short for some time. It took till a skirt inspection led to a letter home before she moved (under protest) to a skirt 2 inches longer which was the longest that they made. I still thought the new one was too short but there you go! No uniform for 6th form thankfully
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

I’d say reasonable would be at least long enough for her to be able to bend down without any danger of her under garments showing.
Tinkers, we go one step further - raise hands in air and then bend over. Certainly for school. Not sure how long this will last for casual dressing!!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Just checked the website and it has the dress code too. It doesn’t match exactly the booklet they were given last month, but it does clarify the issue over skirt length - ’on or just above the knee, not skin tight, longer skirts permitted’. I’m guessing that this is the previous one that wasn’t adhered to. There aren’t that many knee-length skirts in the shops to be honest. Another sore point for many is that they’re limited to five colours - the school colours. So no mustard or green.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Had to get DD new school skirts and I bought the exact same length as she currently has, which I and DH think are too short, so she said if they were too long she would take them up. She has now taken them up and then found out they were the same length. I pointed out that they shrink slightly in the wash, so I now see her taking down all of her hard work :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now