Space School

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Booklady

Space School

Post by Booklady »

I've just enrolled my younger daughter (aged 13) into the Junior Space School in the summer run by Leicester Uni. She currently (and for some time before) wants to be an astro physicist!! Lets see if that changes. Anyway - the summer school looks good, but I wondered if anyone had sent their DC on it before - and what your experience of it was?

RedVelvet

Re: Space School

Post by RedVelvet »

Space School! How fantastic.

What yr is your daughter. My son is 13 and in Yr8. I'll be calling them tomorrow I think.

Thanks.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Booklady wrote:She currently (and for some time before) wants to be an astro physicist!!
I do not know the age range of the audience at this kind of events (maybe some forumites know and could give the info?), but maybe this is also something to investigate as it is something you could consider taking her to at some point?

http://www.briancoxlive.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

JaneEyre wrote:
Booklady wrote:She currently (and for some time before) wants to be an astro physicist!!
I do not know the age range of the audience at this kind of events (maybe some forumites know and could give the info?), but maybe this is also something to investigate as it is something you could consider taking her to at some point?

http://www.briancoxlive.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I went with my youngest aged 12 to the show at the civic hall in Wolverhampton last year.She loved it.Its not for everyone and some of it may have been beyond her comprehension but she was the one who didn't want to leave just before the end when I wanted to avoid the traffic.There were not many youngsters in the audience.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

My DD is 13 and also in Y8. Take a look at the programme online - she's excited to go! If you also decide to send yours maybe we could introduce them before going in some way - then at least they'd 'know' someone. Where are you based RedVelvet?

Looking also at the BrianCox stuff - thanks for the tip! :D
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I was sent this clip on whats app today.I found it truly beautiful and shows you how small and insignificant we really are but at the same time how complex we really are.Our cosmos is a really beautiful place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfSNxVqprvM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Booklady wrote:My DD is 13 and also in Y8. Take a look at the programme online - she's excited to go! If you also decide to send yours maybe we could introduce them before going in some way - then at least they'd 'know' someone. Where are you based RedVelvet?

Looking also at the BrianCox stuff - thanks for the tip! :D

I took a look it looks great. Also the head of physics at school knows of children who have gone before and enjoyed it. I'm going to give them a call on Monday. We're in Gloucestershire.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

So has anyone else enrolled to Space School. My 13 yo DD is going - all paid up now - and she is keen to meet anyone else on here who has a DD or DS attending!! :D :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now