Trendy School Bags?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: Trendy School Bags?

Post by doodles »

That's a good point Tinkers, a good sturdy glasses case is one of ds's most important bits of kit. One that can withstand his bag being knocked around in the changing room, it's not like primary school where you could hand them to the teacher or leave them on your desk during sport.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DS2 has a rucksack bought for DD in 2007 - did her 3 years and has done him 5! He's determined that it will make it to the end of year 11 and I've promised him a new one for year 12, which will probably be a Jeep one. DS1 does have a Superdry one which has lasted 3 or 4 years, but I don't think it will be making the transition to university. Costco periodically do very good ones (that's wheer the long lasting one came from.

If they are going to be taking a laptop, make sure it is big enough & padded enough, but really, don't spend a fortune. What a 10/11 year old thinks is cool, may well be completely unacceptable by October half term in year 7. Buy something inoffensive and cheap over the summer & allow her to choose something new for Christmas. There have been threads about this before if you can be bothered to search.
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

scary mum wrote: What a 10/11 year old thinks is cool, may well be completely unacceptable by October half term in year 7. Buy something inoffensive and cheap over the summer & allow her to choose something new for Christmas. There have been threads about this before if you can be bothered to search.
^^ this, with bells on

No matter what is the most acceptable bag now, it will be by a death mask by half term of year 7. +1 for Herschel here but it has to be 'their' discovery. Good luck!
mad?
KB

Post by KB »

I post this every year on our local forum.
Please do not buy anything other than a very non descript cheap bag until she has been at school for a few weeks. Trends change and what is 'in' now could well have changed by September/ October. It only has to be a small change and anything you buy now will be 'out'.

I wouldn't buy anything special for games at this point because once she's carried her kit around a couple of times she will have a better idea of what suits.

As for the specs issue - it just isn't one.
So many children wear them that I really don't think anyone will notice. Frankly if anyone does say anything it's a pretty easy way to decide who you don't want your new friend to be!
If she only has to wear them in class then I wouldn't pay too much. They will get broken and/or mislaid - hopefully not as often as happened with my youngest! Obviously she doesn't want to look awful but if you pay out for designer cool and then they get broken it will just be stressful for all concerned.

If she is excited or nervous and wants to be doing something then pencil cases, plastic wallets etc might be the best area to focus on?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Dd bought a Hype rucksack last year and it is still going strong - the first one which has lasted over a year.
Ds bought a Penguin one from T K Maxx and it will not survive the year (I've already sewn back on the straps) - but at T K Maxx prices I don't really resent it.
I am not aware of particularly trendy pencil cases (is that not more of a primary thing?) but would agree with your dd that 2 rucksacks are annoying. We bought sports' bags from Sports Direct and had no pressure to get a particular brand.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

My y11 boy brought a Superdry bag with his Christmas money a couple of years ago as it was the in thing and I wasn't prepared to pay for a new one. He's recently gone back to his old non branded one from a couple of years ago and passed the Superdry one onto his younger brother who couldn't care less about what is cool. :D

As for glasses, really don't worry, lots of children become short sighted around the age of 11/13 so soon half the class will be wearing specs.
Bee

Post by Bee »

I have also been looking for bags for DD to start secondary, had a look at amazon, ebay & everywhere. A friend recommended Kipling, I know it's little expensive but she said it lasts years. I found some nice ones on their website for £90 which are between £55-65 in Amazon, I think it will be worth the money.

DD has chosen Teal C which is also one of the cheapest colors, so will be ordering them today - have told her she can't change it for 2 years, otherwise she will be buying from her pocket money.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Wow...that is a lot, even with the Amazon reduction...I hope it doesn't get lost...!

My advice is as I said up thread - go cheap and cheerful initially - bags are a big "fashion" item and what is in one minute is a massive faux pas the next - better to have something simple and inexpensive so that it is not obviously any brand, until child has worked out what they really want. One of my boys has gone from a rucksack to a games bag style (which was actually a free sample I was sent!) and the other had a £20 Samsonite ruck sack that is just coming to the end of its' natural life after nearly 3 years (I know it is guaranteed for life, but the wear and tear these poor bags get daily is hideous) and we have replaced it with a cheap and cheerful from hideous Sports Direct - boy doesn't give two hoots - knows I won't get upset if it gets tatty or drink spilled on it on day 1 when it cost under £20 and does the job! If it lasts more than a year, that is a bonus!
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Another Superdry fan here. My DD has a Superdry rucksack that she bought for year 7 and she is currently in year 9, it is still going strong and still "trendy". my son also bought one for year 7 as did most of his friends and they are all looking as good as new, my son never seems to carry as much weight as my daughter though, every time I pick up my DD's rucksack i am amazed it has lasted so long, and also amazed that she hasn't got back problems with the amount of weight she carries in it.