General Election

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

General Election

Post by Amber »

The cynics among us might say it is while she knows Labour is at its weakest, and the world is in war mood, but soon May will have her mandate for Brexit, and for any other despicable right wing thing she wants to do. Is this really democracy? 'What a horrible woman', as one of my kids just said.

Sorry, needed to vent that - what a dark and cynical day for Britain, just when we thought it couldn't get any worse. No time to mobilise the opposition now.

Countdown to the real Dark Ages begins. :cry: :cry:
SunlampVexesEel

Re: General Election

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

An amazing turn of events.

I really don't understand the negative take on this though... it's an opportunity to use the democratic process and potentially reverse BrExit if that's what you want.

We will unfortunately be seeing a lot more of Tim Farron. The Lib Dems could be about to comeback in a huge way.
Animis opibusque parati
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Just thinking exactly the same thing as Amber. Labour has zero chance with Jeremy Corbyn at the reins, no chance for anyone else to get in there before then. I think we can definitely say that's the demise of the NHS guaranteed :cry:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

SunlampVexesEel wrote:An amazing turn of events.

I really don't understand the negative take on this though... it's an opportunity to use the democratic process and potentially reverse BrExit if that's what you want.

We will unfortunately be seeing a lot more of Tim Farron. The Lib Dems could be about to comeback in a huge way.
+1

Like last election, LibDems would be claiming threats to Kingston Hospital (at the time when that hospital was expanding).

Very brave of TM to call election, but it could be a mistake too.

Or is she seeking an honourable exit for herself?
Last edited by tiffinboys on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

SunlampVexesEel wrote: it's an opportunity to use the democratic process and potentially reverse BrExit if that's what you want.
Err, how exactly?

Like this maybe (courtesy of David Yelland on Twitter)
Only one thing can stop Brexit. Every Labour voter votes LibDem and some Tories stay at home. A scenario about as likely as, er, Trump.
Last edited by Amber on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

tiffinboys wrote:Very brave of TM to call election .
Brave? In what way is it brave? Hardly a high risk strategy, is it?

I wish I was able to mobilise the many decent people who feel totally boxed into a corner by the appalling events in our country over the last year. We have no voice.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Dh (politics teacher) has texted me in response to my moans: "Obvious political decision to be made with the labour party in the state it's in. Will give her a mandate for her Brexit negotiations and a stance to deal with any Tory rebels too, as well as legitimise her premiership. Smart move, not unexpected I would have thought".
:evil:
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Amber wrote:
SunlampVexesEel wrote: it's an opportunity to use the democratic process and potentially reverse BrExit if that's what you want.
Err, how exactly?
Simples. You vote for a party that supports Bremain. It worked for Sarah Olney.
Animis opibusque parati
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote:The cynics among us might say it is while she knows Labour is at its weakest, and the world is in war mood, but soon May will have her mandate for Brexit, and for any other despicable right wing thing she wants to do. Is this really democracy? 'What a horrible woman', as one of my kids just said.
But surely she already has her mandate for Brexit, as in the referendum result from last year?

At least the country now has the option of voting the 'horrible woman' out if that's what we want.

I think the Lib Dems may have a big success in this election as 48% of the country didn't want Brexit and and they seem like the only major UK-wide party who have been making a strong stance against it. Could see a lot of remainers who previously voted Tory or Labour voting Lib Dem in this election maybe? Will also be interesting to see how Scotland votes.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

One person, one vote.

Since turnout was very high at EU Referendum, how is it that 'decent' people didn't have a voice?

Unless, of course, you mean that 72.2 % people who voted were not decent enough.
http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/f ... nformation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;