Prom dresses

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Prom dresses

Post by Guest55 »

You can reject all this nonsense and be different.

DS's year group just had a get together and gave the money they would have spent to charity.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I guess for most youngsters the organisation will be sorted (and the tickets bought) by now so there won't really be that option...

But seeing an advert for the Debenhams sale earlier today reminded me DD's prom dress came from there. We were wandering around the sales after Christmas - long before prom - and happened to spot one that suited her perfectly, fitted and was reduced by about 75%, bringing it to a very reasonable price!

Might be worth a try?!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Why don't you or your daughters check ebay? Can pick up a 'designer' Prom dress for a song and then pay a local company to make any adjustments to its fit. No one need know its 2nd hand and surely better than spending a small fortune on a dress for one evening?

Likewise a tux for a 17 year old. There are so few occasions you need a tux these days, why they can't just require a suit that can then be used again I don't know. Most boys will grow between prom and adulthood, even uni, so its not like it can be used again later.

Humbug.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'd be tempted to wear a tux myself. I know other girls who have for their prom.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkers wrote:I'd be tempted to wear a tux myself. I know other girls who have for their prom.
Me too! Don't have anywhere to go in one but I think that could look so cool. 11+ exams ball perhaps? 8)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Worthwhile checking charity shops too - the Air Ambulance, for example, near us recently tweeted a picture of a dress tat would have been perfect for someone for prom - as well as having the advantage of raising money for charity! With regards to a 17 year old and a tux - actually places like Matalan etc do them quite reasonably (not much more than they cost to hire) and, with lots of 18 year olds having "fancy" birthday parties and many universities have black tie balls, as most boys have done their growing by age 17, it could be seen as an investment piece.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

We did look in Matalan for DS1 but they didn't stock them in slim teenage boy sized, although it may be different on line <scurries off to check>
scary mum
KB

Post by KB »

It seems shame to forgo the good parts altogether but if the year is dominated by unpleasant girls I can see the temptation to do so.

My DCs have organised various such events over the years and always managed to make a profit, which was donated to charity. While they do have reasonable skills in this area I don't suppose they are so special that it can't be done by most people :)
( They didn't just hike the price of tickets either!!)
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Guest55 wrote:You can reject all this nonsense and be different.

DS's year group just had a get together and gave the money they would have spent to charity.
+1
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

scary mum wrote:DS tells me that the girls in his year have a What's App group to share their pictures of their dresses (ostensibly to make sure no-one has the same dress). I can imagine it descends into a great deal of unpleasantness at times. DS was amused by one comment "I don't like you, but I wanted to let you know I really like your dress" :shock: . He is very glad the boys just wear suits or DJs and that there is no fuss!
Actually that made me laugh. In her year though, it would be a case of "I don't like you and your dress looks rubbish too". I have been appalled at the nastiness in her year.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now