Missed a 20 mark question

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: Missed a 20 mark question

Post by doodles »

:shock: :cry: poor child.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Yes poor kid. Real confidence knock right at the start of her exams.
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

DD is aware about distraction in every exam now. School will not grant a rest break to allow for the departure, or separate invigilation, as these were not adjustments applied for by the SENCO in February. Neither we nor DD were consulted about her adjustments. The JCQ advice about separate invigilation is ambiguous: on the one hand
there is not a requirement to process an application using Access arrangements online or to record the use of the arrangement. No evidence is needed to support the arrangement
but it seems it needs to be
• the candidate’s normal way of working within the centre
So we're stuck for these exams, it seems, but are planning our A Levels campaign.

In today's exams, which were 2 x 1 hours of Biology back to back, the whole cohort started together. DD had to ignore the five minutes left announcement, the stop writing announcement, the collection of scripts and instructions to start paper 2, all while checking her answers, in addition to the usual disruption of 170+ kids filing out while she was finishing paper 2. This is predictably not ideal, and will happen all over again for Chemistry and Physics next week.

DD has been told by school to let them know at the time if she is distracted: this instruction is in itself a distraction for a dyslexic. However, she is now in the routine of reporting to the exams officer as she hands in her laptop, as she has been told that if they record her comment it may be considered in mitigation.

She is one of a group of 7 with extra time. I'm convinced the resources should be found to meet their predictable needs.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Bumblebeez wrote: DD had to ignore the five minutes left announcement, the stop writing announcement, the collection of scripts and instructions to start paper 2, all while checking her answers, in addition to the usual disruption of 170+ kids filing out while she was finishing paper 2. This is predictably not ideal, and will happen all over again for Chemistry and Physics next week.
Would wearing foam ear plugs like these ones help her in any way?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=foam+ ... 4783589991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

Thanks JaneEyre, that's a very constructive suggestion!
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

Just to close the story: I thought that if DD ended up with a 6 or below for literature at least she would do well in language. She got 7 for literature: as Amber's son predicted, almost full marks for everything else answered so missing out the unseen is a pity but not a disaster. However, everyone was surprised when she got a 6 for language. School recommended a remark for one paper and she was awarded 19 more marks and went up to an 8. This is very good news for her of course but I am left feeling uneasy about the marking of exams. Can anyone let me know:
whether there are stats kept about remarks, are they publicly available?
whether there are systems in place to check the quality of marking before results are published,
whether there are discrepancies between exam boards and
whether anyone will investigate what went wrong in this instance and see if it forms part of a pattern (eg, was there a rogue examiner making lots of mistakes?) and reviewing other marks that might be similarly unreliable.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I have no idea with regards to stats but just wanted to say I'm really pleased that she did so well inspite of the blip.
Congratulations to your DD on her results.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You never hear about those papers where there is no change or the mark goes down.

Very few go up. Obviously, every paper should be marked properly the first time but examiners would need to paid more I think - mistakes happen everywhere.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:You never hear about those papers where there is no change or the mark goes down.

Very few go up. Obviously, every paper should be marked properly the first time but examiners would need to paid more I think - mistakes happen everywhere.
Interesting that both Bumblebeez and JaneEyre report large discrepancies between the original and remark marks in English language, though - I wonder if this is the same exam board?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

ToadMum wrote:
Guest55 wrote:You never hear about those papers where there is no change or the mark goes down.

Interesting that both Bumblebeez and JaneEyre report large discrepancies between the original and remark marks in English language, though - I wonder if this is the same exam board?
We have yesterday found out that our son's english language was moved from a 6 to an 8 also on remark(WJEC). I only know of 6 people who had english remarks, including those posted on this thread, and all have had significant increases. It really doesn't instill confidence in the system..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now