Cheap recipes for Uni

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KB

Re: Cheap recipes for Uni

Post by KB »

As with any electrical items - if they are allowed to bring anything to the kitchen it will need to be safety checked.
And be prepared for anything to be used by others.

Tried to get one of mine to use it once in shared house but they couldn't get up in time to set it off in the morning - yes, I know it only takes a very few minutes!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

KB, my DD had a sandwich toaster with her which I don't think anyone ever checked. DS's halls didn't provide kettle or toaster so they had to get together & provide them. I don't imagine the uni have checked 150 kettles & toasters. Maybe some are more on the ball than others.
scary mum
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Right now I'm so glad DS is having all meals provided. He barely seems to be in to tidy his room let alone cook amazing or even amazingly simple meals, but reading about people sharing utensils etc. is terrifying me because of his nut allergy. The dangers around sharing utensils was emphasised at our last hospital visit so a plea on behalf of other sufferers: please talk to your DC about finding out if there is anyone with a particular allergy sharing their kitchen. I hadn't planned on bringing this up but reading about a recipe with cashew (which in DS's case would be fatal) prompted this post. I hope I haven't offended anyone. Btw, aren't cashew nuts rather pricey?
KB

Post by KB »

I'm surprised as health and safety requires all electrical items to be tested.
At the universities we have experience of everything had to be tested and anything not labelled as checked was confiscated.

While flat mates would I,m sure be careful if they knew - & I think it's down to the person with allergy to make it known - I wouldn't be relying on others as it's easy for them to not be paying attention and make a mistake or for a visitor to do so.
If washing everything before use isn't sufficient to be safe then I'd give them the basics they need and have them kept in a crate in their bedroom.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I have done that, KB, but you never know. I had a flatmate who insisted we touched nothing of hers while she used all of our stuff and even ate our food.
KB

Post by KB »

Charming! Well, University life is about new experiences I suppose. You certainly come across all sorts of people :)

Do hope your DS flatmates are of the more considerate type.