Put Downs from Teachers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Pooodle

Congratulations - It's not often that I am lost for words - but I am speechless. Absolutely appalled by your comments. 'Teachers resent parents complaining!?!?!?!?!?!?'

Eek!! My experience is that, while it sounds awful, what Pooodle is saying is utterly true. As a parent, having seen things from the teacher side of things, I now know that complaining very rarely makes things better. Please don't think that I condone this, but it is a fact...I see it regularly.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Write to the head and them you will be keeping her off school for SATs week in case she does better than some of the other children and makes them feel bad. You could say that you hope that this will please her teacher so could they please drop the antipathy now? Polite and anxious to help would be my line.

For league table purposes she will be treated as having failed to achieve level 3, let alone level 4 in anything. So the schools results will suffer. It MIGHT be enough to make them wake up. If they care about such things of course. Copy it to the chair of governors if you wish.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I would definitely keep her off for the SATS. It serves them right quite frankly. The only reason I would send her back at all is if your daughter wants that - maybe for friendship reasons. Equally, I wouldn't let some spiteful, controlling teacher stop my children from attending school, unless they chose to. I am not saying DON'T complain, just that it, unfortunately, may not make things easier for her. A ridiculous situation for your daughter to be in really. I bet they celebrate other types of success like sporting achievements don't they??!!
Good luck to your daughter. It sounds like bullying to me, by someone who should know better and should be modelling appropriate behaviour.

I wonder if the teacher is reacting in this way because she sometimes has to deal with year 6s who come to the end of primary school and begin to exhibit signs of having outgrown it? Some children become quite cocky and difficult to manage in the last term particularly. I am sure that this isn't your daughter though.

All the best. x
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Mum 42 - how absolutely appalling for your daughter. I don't understand how one person's success can undermine the position of everyone else in her class. I could understand if half the class had passed and the teacher was telling them to keep quiet about it so as not to make the others feel bad about not passing, but one person??!! She's clearly being excluded and discriminated against at a time when she should be enjoying her last few months at primary school and having her confidence boosted before starting secondary. She certainly shouldn't have to think before she opens her mouth in case she says something too clever.

One of my sons still gets very anxious about tests but used to be dreadful. When he was coming up to his KS1 SATS I mentioned in passing to the Head Teacher that I was thinking of withdrawing him because I couldn't bear to think of a 7 year old being put through an ordeal that was of no benefit to him whatsoever. The look of horror on the HT's face was amazing to behold and the words were barely out of my mouth before all sorts of support plans were put into place for him. Even if your school doesn't care about the 11+ (ours doesn't either, but it's indifference rather than the attitude you describe) they do care about SATS results. It would be interesting to see their reaction if you said you were thinking of going down this route.

And yes, you must write to the HT and to your chair of governors. This teacher's behaviour should go on her record. It may not make any difference to your daughter, but if she does it to someone else and there's a written record of her having done it before, she may not get away with it. At the very least, it might make her think about her behaviour. Good luck!!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Ed's mum wrote: Eek!! My experience is that, while it sounds awful, what Pooodle is saying is utterly true. As a parent, having seen things from the teacher side of things, I now know that complaining very rarely makes things better. Please don't think that I condone this, but it is a fact...I see it regularly.
I understand what you are saying. Having seen the time and effort some teachers put into their teaching and the time that some invest; above and beyond what is expected.
My DS's teacher is a prime target, for being misunderstood. She has a very dry sense of humour and tends to mess around with her y6 class. As I know her, I know this and have on a few occasions had parents who were quite appalled by what she had said to their DS or DD, and managed to advise them that this was her character (perhaps not professional, but one of the reasons for her always being the most popular y6 teacher)

Not taking away from the original post, when over four parents have come in with a similar complaint, then surely the teacher would be advised of this?
It must appear an afront if a parent comes in to voice their displeasure over something. But the question then arises, where do parents go if they have an issue about something that happens in school, knowing that it may fall on deaf ears? :(
Our current head is very good, and will always try to put the needs of the child first. She will, I know, have a quiet word or whatever she deems is appropriate, with the teacher concerned.
Not a lot would have happened, with the boys previous school head. Unfortunately the parent would, more than likely have been dubbed a trouble maker, as her philosophy of keeping her team happy, was her top priority.
Just my experience.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Kent99 wrote:Write to the head and them you will be keeping her off school for SATs week in case she does better than some of the other children and makes them feel bad. You could say that you hope that this will please her teacher so could they please drop the antipathy now? Polite and anxious to help would be my line.

For league table purposes she will be treated as having failed to achieve level 3, let alone level 4 in anything. So the schools results will suffer. It MIGHT be enough to make them wake up. If they care about such things of course. Copy it to the chair of governors if you wish.
Brilliant idea. As this dreadful woman is the Year 6 teacher, this will kick her in the only place it hurts - in the SATS results. Go for it, even if you only keep your daughter off for those few days.
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Mum42 and Scatshouse,
I hope everything turns out the way you wish it to. The behaviour of these teachers has been absolutely appalling. It makes me really cross when teachers/people in general can't applaud academic success. I am sure your daughter Mum42 is considerate to those around her, but surely she should get to enjoy her success. I am sure that if she had won some sort of sports scholarship she would be praised and be allowed to shout about her achievement. I agree that keeping her off for SATS is an excellent idea. They are of no benefit to your daughter so only the school lose out.
Good luck.
solimum

SATS

Post by solimum »

While I am no fan at all of the NC tests I ought to add just a slight word of caution - if as at many schools the grammar school your daughter is going on to uses Yr 6 SATS results in their target-setting having a "blank" may give rise to bureaucratic difficulties in future (unless the primary school is happy to forward predicted scores, which on current form seems unlikely..) Sadly they have become embedded in the schools process. Also, the last term of primary school is a significant rite of passage (trips. shows, tears..), and simply to leave at this stage (and have 6 months away from school) may not be ideal. If the rest of school life is not appalling it might be better for your daughter to learn the lesson that although there will always be people jealous of her talents she doesn't have to run away. The teacher concerned does sound seriously bitter - I would pursue a complaint quietly without letting it your daughter see the details.

However if she is seriously unhappy at school, has no friends she would miss spending this last term with, and you could plan an interesting "round the world" educational trip instead I agree it would be worth considering. But don't underestimate the potential paperwork involved in de-registering from the school system only to rejoin, possibly with missing school records etc.
aliportico

Re: SATS

Post by aliportico »

solimum wrote: if as at many schools the grammar school your daughter is going on to uses Yr 6 SATS results in their target-setting having a "blank" may give rise to bureaucratic difficulties in future
Oh dear - do you think I should send my home educated daughter to school next term to do the SATS? :wink: :lol:

Honestly, "bureaucratic difficulties" would be the least of my concerns.
katel

Post by katel »

I'm not condoning anything that any of the teachers quoted on here have said - it all sounds appalling. And I'm not saying that anybody's children on here have done anything wrong.

But can I just tell you our experience? Last year my daughter passed the test, got the school of her choice and was delighted - until a couple of children in her class started telling her how much better they had scored in the test than her, and wondering aloud how she would cope at grammar school when she only passed her maths by 2 marks. It completely knocked her confidence and she came home crying on several occasions. I talked to the year 6 teacher and with the Head, we agreed that he would talk to the class in general terms about not "going on" about the 11+, and people being good at different things and the 11+ not being the most important thing in the world, and that maybe it would be a good idea to concentrate on the class they were in now, rather than spending too much time thinking and talking about their next school.

This general talk seemed to have the desired effect, but I wonder whether some of the class who hadn't been indulging in the "show-offy' behaviour might have felt "tarred with the same brush", if you see what I mean.

Is it possible that something like this may have happened in some of your schoold?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now