Which martial art is least dangerous??

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Warks mum

Re: Which martial art is least dangerous??

Post by Warks mum »

I think technically fencing is considered a martial art. It has the advantage that you're covered in protective clothing to prevent getting hurt! We know many youngsters who don't enjoy traditional sports who thrive in a fencing club.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Tai chi, the healthy form as opposed to the fighting form, is a martial art, often described as an internal martial art.

It has fantastic health benefits, hence it is practised by so many Chinese pensioners in open air spaces everywhere. It is certainly gentle in this form but I doubt it is what your child imagines is a martial art!!!
Last edited by kenyancowgirl on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Oh where to start...
Much of the advice is great on here.. but as someone who own a Martial art school I simply can't not comment..

Firstly... if you are truly doing Martial Arts they aren't any more dangerous than any other sport, and I would argue less than some. We have far more students miss classes due to common sports than any Martial Arts based injuries...
For me, there are two main concerns from martial arts both long term - bone/joint damage and head injury/trauma(CTE).
Historically both are problems Though both are now well known about and if you choose your Art (and school) wisely - neither should be a problem anymore.
Comparatively, gymnasts, dancers, footballers, rugby players etc face as much, if not more, risk.
I would only ever say don't do 3!Martial Arts. - kickboxing, Kung Fu, and MMA.(I personally don't class 2 as a real martial art anyway).
ITF style Taekwon-Do is my main discipline but have also done some BJJ, Aikido and Judo.

The biggest advice I can give is do your homework first, the biggest problem for parents is that they usually know little about the subject so have no real comparatives. Sadly there are many bad schools, affectionately termed McDojos/Dojangs. Always go for a school that is affiliated to an international organisation if possible and ask to see their qualifications/affiliation certs as well as insurance/dbs.
As mentioned student should be required to apply for a license/membership.

In terms of cost, the cheapest is usually not the best, but nor is the dearest... the cheapest is usually some guy trying to just rip some people off, and the most expensive an organisation (usually lead by one guy) in it for the money, not the Art.

For me ITF Taekwon-Do has a perfect relationship between improving oneself physically but also mentally. But of course others will think differently. It's quite a tribal thing :D
I'm happy to chat privately if you wish to ask anything.

SD.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now