Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: Christmas 2017

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:Do it! I dare you!
:lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

When we were right on students - well just graduated - hubby bought me half a pig for an African family for Valentines Day...half a pig...!! It wasn't the fact that I didn't get anything myself but that it wasn't a full pig!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:When we were right on students - well just graduated - hubby bought me half a pig for an African family for Valentines Day...half a pig...!! It wasn't the fact that I didn't get anything myself but that it wasn't a full pig!!
There is a sibling - half a goat each, perhaps. Or half a latrine.

Do you know whether your African family got the front end, the back end, or a split down the middle?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I like to imagine a diagonal slice porker running around on two legs!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

ToadMum wrote:DH has forwarded an email from a close family member, itself forwarding the email from a family member very close to that family member (if you see what I mean), attaching a list of what that person wishes to see under the tree on Christmas Day. Complete, apparently, with links to the appropriate websites.

I say 'apparently'; I haven't actually opened the document myself. The wording of both forwarded emails made me think that having never yet sent anyone one of these 'presents' from Oxfam which consist of a card telling the recipient that a field latrine or a goat has been donated to some far-flung village in their name, this year might be a good time to start :shock: .
Another alternative could be to supply contents in filling a shoebox on behalf of intended Xmas present recipients.There are many charities out there appealing.I know one homeless charity who have projects around the country have launched a facebook appeal two days ago.Considering its snowing outside now I understand the urgent need.Me and my youngest in order to complete her charity project from school have been helping out on Friday evenings for about 2 to 3 hours in the last few weeks helping feed the homeless on the streets of Birmingham.So shampoos,conditioner,shower gel,wet wipes,toothpaste and brush,vaseline/lip balm,sanitary products,razors,shaving foam.hair brushes,chocolates,sachets of soup drinks,biscuits,note pads and pens,torch ,batteries, first aid kit,small towels,hats,gloves,scarf ,underwear and socks are all possible items for the shoe box.

In the last few years we don't give many presents between the adults and the expectation I have is apart from my secret santa present I may get one or two more.The very young children still get spoilt.

My eldest has been out in Ghana with VSO in the last two months and what we were eating in a restaurant with friends later last night and what she was eating with a host family brings into sharp contrast what we really have compared to many in the world.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Amber

Post by Amber »

I find the dripping material excess and false sentiment of Christmas sickening and would happily spend the day volunteering with the homeless or walking somewhere in the wilds. But families bring expectation and I am constantly accused of being a miserable old bag about it all. I just grit my teeth and count the days, but last year I did finally stop eating turkey, which I loathe. A small rebellion!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’m not a big fan of turkey and try and avoid it.
Last year we were at the in laws and we managed to convince them to have a goose instead. (Bonus is it cooks quicker as well).
This year we will be there again, but she offered (in a way that only MIL knows how) to go and order the ‘turkey’ from her local butcher this year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Amber wrote:I find the dripping material excess and false sentiment of Christmas sickening ...
That is the fault of commerce not 'Christmas' itself -
It's perfectly OK to reject the commercial aspects and focus on what makes a real difference - helping the homeless, supporting older people and those on their own. After all, isn't that what Christmas is really about?
It's prefectly possible to celebrate without excess :)
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I love Christmas! I like to think we are not excessively materialistic. But I love all the trappings - we make gingerbread, wreaths for the door... It's probably our most creative time of the year. My children love buying presents more than receiving them though I do think it's a good idea to encourage them to consider other things too like helping the homeless or buying alternative gifts.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Amber wrote:I find the dripping material excess and false sentiment of Christmas sickening and would happily spend the day volunteering with the homeless or walking somewhere in the wilds. But families bring expectation and I am constantly accused of being a miserable old bag about it all. I just grit my teeth and count the days, but last year I did finally stop eating turkey, which I loathe. A small rebellion!
I am not a fan of Christmas either - the pressure on mother's in particular is sky high and I am usually quite relieved when it is all over. We did decide a few years back that as we weren't fans of turkey and were only having it because we thought my parents expected it, that we would move to having forerib of beef (which we usually did with friends on Boxing Day). It makes Christmas infinitely better!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now