Advice on pianos…

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

solimum

Re: Advice on pianos…

Post by solimum »

Yes you're right ToadMum - "Face the Music" ! (must have got it muddled up in my mind with "Counterpoint" or (worse) "Countdown"! )
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Trakka if you want a silent piano Yamaha make them and it may be worth finding a stockist to try one out. If you fancy a trip to London the Yamaha shop in Wardour Street is great and they also have a good range of sheet music. I wouldn't ever advise buying any piano without thoroughly researching first and playing at least several to decide what you like and see what you can get for how much money. My personal favourite pianos are Kawai and Yamaha due to the sound and build quality. I have a Yamaha U3 (not a silent one; I like the idea but they cost a lot more) which is the closest sound/feel I could get to a grand. Mine is a second-hand reconditioned 1980s one and after much research I bought it from Mark Goodwin pianos; check out Mark's website for more info. It all depends on your budget, what space you have, and whether or not you see the piano as being a fairly permanent fixture in your home; as others have said they are very difficult to move and are very sensitive to humidity and temperature changes. My piano tuner recently told me a sad story about a beautiful and expensive piano that was being kept in a conservatory with disastrous consequences.
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

Thanks for your advice Peridot. I will have a look into both those places.

That is sad about the piano in the conservatory! We have had our weighted digital in the same place for the last 6 years so we have a spot for it which is next to an inside wall and not a radiator.
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

So we ended up buying a Kawai CA98 (digital) and it is beautiful to play! We are all practising a lot more because we enjoy playing it. I loved all the acoustics but my daughters enjoyed the feel of the digital more :shock: To be honest the digital is more practical and friendly for our neighbours.

In case anyone is interested now or in future searches, we visited 2 showrooms, Ebony and Ivory (great name!) in Collindale and Bonners in Reigate. They were both extremely helpful.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Is that the one with the weighted wooden keys? A good compromise between acoustic and digital.
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

Hera wrote:Is that the one with the weighted wooden keys? A good compromise between acoustic and digital.
Yes it is!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Ooh that sounds great, Trakka!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now