Arkwright Scholarships.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stroudydad

Arkwright Scholarships.

Post by stroudydad »

Does anyone have any experience of this process? Any hints, tips & comments would be much appreciated.

SD
Tinkers

Re: Arkwright Scholarships.

Post by Tinkers »

There is someone on the forum who has, I’m sure I remember seeing it.
Maybe SteveDH?

A search of the forum might help.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

My brain does not deceive me
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... ht#p440444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
um

Post by um »

My ds2 received one last year, but I feel rather guilty, as having been very busy with other things, I can't say I did anything to support him.
He's always had super DT teachers at school, through - teachers who I'd say are not only teachers, but also great mentors to the boys.
He took an exam at school and then was invited to interview.
I remember that the interview was in Southampton at about 9am so he had to go the day before by train, stopped in London to see some friends when changing trains, and stayed in a hotel beforehand nearby in Southampton, had to sort dinner etc. He did this all alone and I was very worried but he's the sort of boy who needs space to be independent and I knew I had to give it.
He took a few drawings and ideas to the interview but I can't say he prepared or had practice. He's naturally sociable and enjoys talking.
His dad attended the award ceremony and they've attended some other Arkwright events, too - one was in Liverpool, I remember. It's a really great initiative.
Ds2 is not particularly academically outstanding at all (he's at a grammar though and hasn't done terribly) so it was really good for him to showcase his practical/thinking skills and receive recognition in another way.