Driving Theory

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Driving Theory

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:the new test is so much harder than the old driving test...I know I'd fail!!!
My son informed me last night that I would have failed my driving test for indicating too soon for a junction I was approaching. Should have been 3 car lengths, I think he said, and I apparently had 8. So now I know.

Look out everyone if you see me as I am clearly unfit to be driving.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I tried the hazzard perception test mentioned earlier in this thread last night. It's certainly not as easy as I thought it would be and failed. Although my husband kept distracting me with our first batch of roasted chestnuts.

I certainly won't be teaching my son to drive.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Yes it took a while to understand what was expected (that's my excuse anyway). I got distracted by wondering if I recognised the roads they were driving along! Definitely the Ferrybridge power station on the horizon at some point?

(If you want more chances to guess where you are in the world/UK and waste hours more time being distracted, try https://geoguessr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lots of options!
um

Post by um »

Although the test itself is not easy, I was surprised when ds passed his practical test and yet had genuinely no idea how to park the car.
So he could drive places, and was then unable to park :roll:
Apparently this isn't in the test any more.
I had to go out with him and practice parking his car in a car park bay (this took weeks) and he still hasn't mastered parallel parking - he passed nearly a year ago.
solimum

Post by solimum »

I don't think I could ever say I have "mastered" parallel parking - there always seems to be something not quite right with the space....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I thought parallel parking and bay parking were in the test ...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

um wrote:Although the test itself is not easy, I was surprised when ds passed his practical test and yet had genuinely no idea how to park the car.
So he could drive places, and was then unable to park :roll:
Apparently this isn't in the test any more.
I had to go out with him and practice parking his car in a car park bay (this took weeks) and he still hasn't mastered parallel parking - he passed nearly a year ago.
It might explain all those 'parking' posts on Facebook - courtesy of the Birmingham Mail, I think? (The new test, not your DS specifically, I mean :lol: ). I've got a collection of my own of local beauties - there is a house two doors down where successive owners have defined 'parking on my drive' as leaving their car fully across the pavement between the dropped kerb and their actual property. Another neighbour eventually shopped one lot for it and a nice young man in uniform popped round to have a chat with them :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Parallel parking and/or bay parking (either reversing or going in forward) ARE certainly in the new test. As is a maneuovre that most driving instructors are not happy about, which involves going from the left lane to the right hand kerb, reversing two lengths and then rejoining the traffic. As this is aginst another point in teh Highway Code there has been petitions to have it removed. They are not asked to do all of them, necessarily, though. They also have emergency stop and following a sat nav as well as the independent driving.

The old test still had turn in the road (three point turn as I knew it) and reversing round a corner, which is effectively parking in a bay.

I could happily parallel park in my big old 4x4 but in my little car I can never seem to see all the things I like to see at the same time (as I could in the bigger car) so tend to have to go for bigger parallel spaces than I did for the big car.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

solimum wrote:Yes it took a while to understand what was expected (that's my excuse anyway). I got distracted by wondering if I recognised the roads they were driving along! Definitely the Ferrybridge power station on the horizon at some point?

(If you want more chances to guess where you are in the world/UK and waste hours more time being distracted, try https://geoguessr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lots of options!

Oh my gosh they've updated this since I last played. I just had one go, guessed Queensland and it was NZ! Love it!
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Phew... DD passed!

Will feedback anything learned later. (When DD returns from some retail therapy!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now