Dd's ski trip - clothing advice please!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
avidskier

Re: Dd's ski trip - clothing advice please!

Post by avidskier »

Given my username I thought I had best also give my advice here.
I grew up in the Alps and skied every weekend during the season.. now I have to make do with indoor skiing centres (a good way to get a few lessons under your belt before she goes by the way!).
I would agree with the several posters that Aldi is an excellent source of ski wear. Very good quality. Shame they only have it on certain weeks though (you can check their website to see when). Also worth checking Lidl if you have one near you.
Very important is also to think about underclothes (if going during Jan or Feb it can be subzero plus significant wind chill). If she is in a large group there may be a lot of standing around on the slopes waiting for others to get their skis back on!
I would check Aldi or outdoor world shops also for thermal underwear. M&S also do some. They can then also be used as pyjamas after.. It’s worth having at least 1 pair of thermal long johns or if too expensive then tights (preferably 2).
Hope she has a lovely time! Oh and don’t forget to bring a small bottle of sun lotion also (the sun is much more intense at high altitude).
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have only skied once and am not a fan...my contribution to this thread is to say that happily there appear to be lots of alternatives to using Sports Direct, which is a terrible company and exploits its staff in a way which makes it best avoided.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:I have only skied once and am not a fan....
me too :oops:
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I am going to suggest something that may not be very cool but I think could save you some money. Ski gloves are expensive and very easily lost - particularly by beginner skiers who tend to be overwhelmed by the number of things they have to remember.
When my kids were younger I attached their ski gloves to elastic and threaded it through their jackets when they went skiing. Now I admit they were younger than your DD but I think that the principle still stands. I did make this suggestion to a friend whose daughter was probably 14 when she first went skiing ( on a school trip). A few days later thinking that it was a very uncool suggestion I tried to retract it only to find that she had already persuaded all her friends that they would ask their mum's to attach their gloves to elastic too!!
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

hermanmunster wrote:
To be fair though, like many things in life, it's one of those activities that you can only truly appreciate once you reach a certain level of competence. It would be a bit like someone saying that they tried to play the violin once and it sounded awful... :wink:

Gliding down a mountainside through fresh snow under a clear blue sky is a wonderful feeling IMO. :D

(That's a good idea about gloves on elastic BTW Twinkle )
Amber

Post by Amber »

Surferfish wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:
To be fair though, like many things in life, it's one of those activities that you can only truly appreciate once you reach a certain level of competence. It would be a bit like someone saying that they tried to play the violin once and it sounded awful... :wink:

Gliding down a mountainside through fresh snow under a clear blue sky is a wonderful feeling IMO. :D

(That's a good idea about gloves on elastic BTW Twinkle )
And to clarify, I actually was what the instructor called ' a natural' at it and did indeed get to the gliding down the mountainside level. I just didn't enjoy it at all, particularly the getting back up the hill again part - it seemed fairly pointless, I worried about the damage to the environment, the potential for damage to life and limb, and the types of people I met doing it were not my idea of fun. I am happy for those who enjoy it but don't think that saying I didn't like it because I couldn't do it is accurate or fair. I just can't see the point - I love the mountains but don't see the need to go up and down them on lollipop sticks, surrounded by/dodging 'like minded people'. :D

Anyway, as you were... :)
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote: And to clarify, I actually was what the instructor called ' a natural' at it and did indeed get to the gliding down the mountainside level. I just didn't enjoy it at all, particularly the getting back up the hill again part - it seemed fairly pointless, I worried about the damage to the environment, the potential for damage to life and limb, and the types of people I met doing it were not my idea of fun. I am happy for those who enjoy it but don't think that saying I didn't like it because I couldn't do it is accurate or fair. I just can't see the point - I love the mountains but don't see the need to go up and down them on lollipop sticks, surrounded by/dodging 'like minded people'. :D

Anyway, as you were... :)
Fair enough, it would be boring if we all liked the same things. :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Surferfish wrote:Fair enough, it would be boring if we all liked the same things.
Absolutely! And I know I am a bit unusual. :lol:
piggys

Post by piggys »

Thanks for everyone's input here; I have ordered a load of stuff from Mountain Warehouse which I expect any day now.....and have a coupe of pairs of good gloves already.

Amber I must tell you that Mike Cashley - oh, sorry, Ashley, the Sports Direct Owner, lives about half a mile away from me in an absolutely colossal mansion replete with doric pillars, his own lake out the back, a set of range rovers....you get a good view of it if you are driving along Totteridge Lane. It is strangely tasteless though. No doubt he spends on his house what he withholds from his poor staff. :(
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

piggys wrote:Thanks for everyone's input here; I have ordered a load of stuff from Mountain Warehouse which I expect any day now.....and have a coupe of pairs of good gloves already.

Amber I must tell you that Mike Cashley - oh, sorry, Ashley, the Sports Direct Owner, lives about half a mile away from me in an absolutely colossal mansion replete with doric pillars, his own lake out the back, a set of range rovers....you get a good view of it if you are driving along Totteridge Lane. It is strangely tasteless though. No doubt he spends on his house what he withholds from his poor staff. :(
Is that the house that had amazing Christmas lights a couple of years ago? Looks awfully tacky with huge annexe to the right?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now