Dd's ski trip - clothing advice please!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

piggys

Re: Dd's ski trip - clothing advice please!

Post by piggys »

Thanks so much everyone - so much good advice here! I will definitely get myself up to the Hatfield Galleria, thanks all. :(
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

It may also be worth trying eBay. We either hand on our ski kit or sell on eBay when we've outgrown. When I buy I tend to buy a bit on the big side so it hopefully lasts more than one year (but you don't want it too big that it doesn't keep her warm) - bit of a balancing act!

She will also need a ski helmet - worth checking out whether you can hire via school or the ski hire shop when you get there. Decent ski gloves are essential - normal gloves just won't keep her hands warm.

The other items I consider essential are a decent lip salve & small tube of sun protection cream for the bits of face that are exposed.

Hope she enjoys it!
KB

Post by KB »

Haven't been myself for a few years do things may have moved on but used to find useful to have one of those gizmos that clips the ski pass to you with a retractable line.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Got me reminiscing about school ski trip in mid 70s.
The kit was basically heavy lycra flared ski trousers with stirrup. Knitted nordic woolies, anoraks, thermal vests, bobble hats, and sunglasses. Not a smidgeon of fleece in sight :lol:
No helmets. Only injury was bossy teacher from another school who tripped up the step at the hotel and hurt her ankle. :oops:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Me too, hermanmunster. We had lace up leather ski boots and had to take laces with us. The first year I went it was minus 22 & I was frozen!
scary mum
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

KB wrote:Haven't been myself for a few years do things may have moved on but used to find useful to have one of those gizmos that clips the ski pass to you with a retractable line.
Things have moved on :D Now pockets in ski jacket arms or chest mean that you don't need to fiddle with ski passes all week!
solimum

Post by solimum »

Can sometimes also pick up ski wear in charity shops (recently found some bargains locally for DS1 who is off skiing again after 10 years) - and remember that the jacket might also find a use as a regular winter coat (subject to inane school rules about "dark plain coats") if DD is not too fussy. Perfect for bracing New Year walks....

Also remember high factor sunscreen in a small tube which can be kept in an accessible to avoid the fetching red nose/panda eyes look!
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Aldi and Lidl are the best place to go IMO if you're looking to save money on gear. Very cheap and perfectly adequate quality wise. You should hopefully be able to get most things there including helmet and goggles.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/abou ... uys/skiing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.aldi.co.uk/search?q=ski%3Apopular&page=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other places selling reasonably priced ski gear are Sports Direct, Mountain Warehouse, Decathlon, Trespass and TK Maxx but Aldi is the cheapest.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

A few more tips from someone who goes regularly.

Helmet - she will definitely need one, but it may well be included in the ski hire package. Check with school.
Goggles - These are preferable to sunglasses when skiiing as the strap goes round the outside of the helmet. (sunglasses arms can press into the side of the head underneath a well-fitting helmet and are also considered a bit of a fashion faux pas :wink: ). An orange tinted goggle lens is probably the best all round choice as it works in both bright sunlight and flat/dull light. Go for a double lens goggle as this should help prevent fogging/misting up. It's worth also taking a cheap pair of sunglasses to wear when she stops for lunch etc.
Gloves - Make sure they are waterproof as wet hands will get cold and make her miserable. This is probably the one item you should spend a bit more on to ensure decent quality.
Sun screen/lip salve - high factor to protect exposed parts of face.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

The other place worth looking is Sports Direct which quite often have one-off items at bargain prices. They are also great for apres-ski footwear - either padded snow boots or walking boots which can double for field trips/D of E expeditions. Trespass are great for gloves and often have them in their sale. Decathlon are also good value.

Ski passes are all now electronic so no need to worry about clips/lanyards, as loobylou says, but a pocket in the sleeve is very handy.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now