Steam ovens

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: Steam ovens

Post by Amber »

The aforementioned German manufacturer makes a feature out of doors you can put things on. I rather like it. We have a range cooker at the moment so doing that would be an act of exceptional foolishness. One of the reasons we need to change the kitchen is because my knees don't really bend very well any more, so we want deep drawers rather than base units - time in Finland last year taught me this was the way to go - and a cooker I don't have to bend down to.

In terms of the wok thing, we use one at least 3 times a week but DH thinks a wok indent will not look very stylish ( :roll: ) - does anyone use a 'normal' induction hob successfully with a wok? I wish we could have gas but our village has no supply so we are stuck with electric.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Amber wrote:In terms of the wok thing, we use one at least 3 times a week but DH thinks a wok indent will not look very stylish ( :roll: ) - does anyone use a 'normal' induction hob successfully with a wok? I wish we could have gas but our village has no supply so we are stuck with electric.
Yes, we use a wok very successfully with an induction hob.

Re: gas vs. electric, I loved gas and hated cooking on electric hobs until I got an induction hob. It is every bit as responsive as gas - prepare to be pleasantly surprised! It also has the virtue that, once a pan is removed from the hob, it switches off. Never again will I come down in the morning to find a gas burner that has been alight since 7pm the previous evening ... :evil:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Just before you decide, and acknowledging it will be a nightmare on the knees, do you remember that beautiful wood burning stove that Yamin had and posted a picture of way back when? Go for it on looks alone!
mad?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sally-Anne wrote:Re: gas vs. electric, I loved gas and hated cooking on electric hobs until I got an induction hob. It is every bit as responsive as gas - prepare to be pleasantly surprised! It also has the virtue that, once a pan is removed from the hob, it switches off
I have used it in Finland and yes it was OK, but I am attached to my lovely copper-bottomed pans. 30 years old and still look amazing. There is a market out there for the first person to invent a coating which can be applied to make them useable.
mad? wrote:Just before you decide, and acknowledging it will be a nightmare on the knees, do you remember that beautiful wood burning stove that Yamin had and posted a picture of way back when? Go for it on looks alone!
Ah we have a wood burner already in the lounge (and our own wood for the next ten years after the boys pollarded our willows!) and yes range cookers look brilliant. I would love an Aga. But, I can't bend at that point of my body really - did some running a couple of years ago after surgery prevented me swimming for a while and it forever did for my knees. :-(. Cleaning the cooker is the problem really - you can't really do that from a height.
Sally-Anne wrote:Yes, we use a wok very successfully with an induction hob.
Brilliant, thanks.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

Yes we cook with our wok on our induction hob & yes it definitely is very responsive. We also considered the wok burner but have no gas and again we couldn't justify the expense for the frequency with which we use a wok.

My one bugbear on our german induction hob is that it is sometimes a bit too responsive. Sometimes if you wipe a cloth over or catch my sleeve it will switch off the power. Bit irritating but having moved from gas to electric in this house, induction is as good (though I too did need a new set of pans)