Steam ovens

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: Steam ovens

Post by Amber »

Yes we can see that nowhere actually charges the RRP, and the person making the kitchen, like most such people I guess, gets everything at trade price anyway. I think we will not get a hob from there as a hob is a hob right? Will be sad to see my old copper bottomed pans consigned to history though.

Family events have somewhat displaced the kitchen as a top priority now sadly, which probably means it will all go up again before we decide. :|
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

If you are going down the induction hob route I would definitely go with a different brand...definitely not worth paying such a huge premium to have matching names on products.
KB

Post by KB »

If getting a whole new kitchen it's still worth shopping around for appliances. The 'trade' price the kitchen supplier charges you can still vary....
We got a better quote and then our kitchen company matched it.

Induction hobs have options on size and configuration. Some have individual zones and others you can use two zones as one for example.

We thought about an additional wok burner as the flat induction hob doesn't do that job. Couldn't justify cost but if you are wok users it's something to consider.

Also take care re extraction. Many don't actually do the job, especially those that only recirculate. With the pop up ones behind the hob they only work if adjacent to the pans so not great for a 2x2 hob - better if you have a longer, thinner configuration.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I am also looking at doing our kitchen. On an early trip round the shops I noticed ovens with doors that slide under them; I'm struggling to see how this is useful. Can anyone explain? My oven door is a useful place to put things while I am stirring them or testing whether something is cooked through ..
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:I am also looking at doing our kitchen. On an early trip round the shops I noticed ovens with doors that slide under them; I'm struggling to see how this is useful. Can anyone explain?
It reduces the distance that you have to carry a heavy dish/turkey/casserole when lifting it out of the oven. (Do the maths on the angles. :wink: )
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ithink when they are built in at eye level, it is so that you don't have to reach over the door to reach into the oven and gives you more space and full access. It also stops people banging their head if they are getting soething out from underneath it...

But it could be seen as just a gimmick!

Crossed with SA
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I see - but my oven isn't high and I put the dish on the door first anyway -

I guess if my oven was at a different height or under the hob it might be useful ... just seems like another thing to go wrong!
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

I think its probably not advisable to rest dishes on the oven door, particularly if made of glass, as it may get damaged.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My oven door isn't all glass and I've used it like this for a number of years.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Fair enough. I used to do it myself all the time with our old one and never had a problem either but since we got a new one with a glass door have been a bit overly cautious as I think it mentioned something about not putting things on the door in the instruction book.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now