Urgent-what To do with exchange student?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkers

Re: Urgent-what To do with exchange student?

Post by Tinkers »

My neighbour often has Chinese students for short stays while they at Reading Uni for short courses (4-6 weeks). They are usually mature students and expected to cook for themselves etc.

Most are excellent cooks, but one existed on pot noodles. The neighbour offered some meals as she felt a little concerned but was politely refused.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:My neighbour often has Chinese students for short stays while they at Reading Uni for short courses (4-6 weeks). They are usually mature students and expected to cook for themselves etc.

Most are excellent cooks, but one existed on pot noodles. The neighbour offered some meals as she felt a little concerned but was politely refused.
Maybe at home, they always had to cook everything from scratch, so the freedom to eat pot noodles everyday was too tempting to pass up :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Hi

You have already had some great ideas suggested :)

Iam the proud "owner" of a sixteen year old (as well as a wonderful ten year old) and some of the things we have enjoyed doing in the past two years are:

Escape Room
RIB Thames Experience
Emirates Cable Car and "Curly slide"
Treasure Trails (for your local area perhaps?)
Harry Potter Studios
Bletchley Park
Go Ape
Lolly/Sweet making at Spun Candy in London
Trip to the theatre
Afternoon Tea Bus Tour on the BB Bus in London
The Void in Westfield (you don't have to be a Star Wars fan-none of us are yet we all enjoyed it immensely.

However our best family experience was a "Pignic" with micro pigs in Amersham-they were so cute! I wanted to adopt one but (for once) my husband put his foot down!

Looking at the above list it's no wonder we are always skint :lol:

Hope you all have fun whatever you decide.

2 little boys x
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

What did you do in the end, OP?
scary mum
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

Some of the stories on here made me cry with laughter. Getting ready to host an exchange student too so some great ideas - thank you.
It takes a village to raise a child
solimum

Post by solimum »

I had a car full (daughter and friends plus their exchange partners) I was driving up to the school with, indicating to turn right into the school drive, when we were rammed from behind (by a young lad who had only just passed his test and presumably didn't notice the large Vauxhall Zafira in front..). Fortunately no injury, more damage to his car than to ours, but a "memorable" experience we hadn't planned...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now