Homework problems

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Homework problems

Post by Amber »

LL - that covering method for spellings became a bugbear in our house as one of my children has a photographic memory and could learn a spelling on sight. Sadly the school absolutely insisted on children filling in that spelling grid every single day with 20 spellings. I went to see the teacher who said she knew my child had a crazy memory but this was the system and there could be no exceptions. So with her total knowledge I filled the grid in at the beginning of every week myself.

I generally didn't allow mine to do homework at primary school. I thought they were in school long enough to be taught what they needed to know (which essentially is the skills required to access the secondary curriculum) and it was more valuable to have down time. I knew that the teachers hated it too (and as a teacher myself I never agreed with small children being made to work at home) so did it with their knowledge - sometimes doing the homework myself or telling my child exactly what to write. It has now become a family joke and they tease me for it, saying that they were the only ten year olds begging to be allowed to fill in a worksheet. But I do seriously wonder if that is why they are all very self-driven and have never once needed to be asked about homework or revision now that they are older.
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

Thanks for all your replies. She does slob in front of the tv when she gets in. I hope I haven’t given the impression that she is just expected to work every day when she gets in from school....that is not the case. We’ll see how it goes & take it day to day. Thanks again for all your replies x
mystery

Post by mystery »

Not sure how to deal with this - happens here too -- but don't worry, she's really not unusual. I think there's plenty of children like that - their parents just don't let on or they're the children of parents who don't care or don't have time to notice.

I guess if she has limited patience for homework I would make it go on the homework I knew was most useful at the moment ... so 11 plus if needs be. Then it' s up to the teacher to give a consequence if necessary. Try and be just as yo would be if you did not work at that school.

Choose a secondary school that does give a consequence for homework not done. Ours does -- but they're not very good at picking up on work which has been copied out first thing in the morning at school; mine tell me about quite a few who do that.
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

Thanks. I’ve had a little chat with her. We’re applying for CCHS & had a look at the website with her. She liked what she saw so I told her that to give herself the best chance to get a place, she would have to work hard, but that we are proud of her regardless of the outcome. She’ll be fine, she’s just going through a bit of a slump. She’s still doing well with her 11+ homework so at least it hasn’t impacted her performance. She likes to do well so hopefully that will override her reluctance.
To be honest, me working at the school has not made any difference to my kids. They don’t seek me out & I don’t treat them differently to the other kids when I’m there,unlike some staff who have children at the school. xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now