Fly or get the train lOndon to Paris

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
inkypinkyponky

Re: Fly or get the train lOndon to Paris

Post by inkypinkyponky »

My daughter and her boyfriend spent 4 days in Paris last September. They were going to go by Eurostar as we live only 10 minutes drive from Ebbsfleet.

When they booked a few months beforehand they were surprised that the Eurostar was going to cost £200 more each than flying and getting a booked return taxi from the airport. They therefore booked to go by plane and used the £400 they'd saved as spending money! They had a small rucksack each which went as their hand luggage, so no checking baggage in or waiting at the other end.

Yes, there can be delays flying, but also delays on the Eurostar when trains get stuck in the tunnel (that would be my total nightmare :shock: )
Depends how long you shop around for deals, as to which is cheaper/more convenient for you.
Bon voyage!
piggys

Post by piggys »

We have travelled to Paris a couple of times and also to Lille by Eurostar and love it - so many train times to choose from and different seat formations etc. We found it a lot more relaxed and pleasant than flying. It would also depend on how easy or difficult it would be to get to a train station - we are lucky in that we live near a Northern line tube station which goes direct to St Pancras but others are not in that position.

I booked a Paris hotel via the Eurostar website once and got a good deal - about 25% cheaper than booking both separately.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Definitely Eurostar. Ebbsfleet is a doddle for us and the train is so straight forward especially as Gare Du Nord is right in the city centre and Charles de Galle is a decent metro ride out.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !