Generation Gifted

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Generation Gifted

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I sat down with ds2 to watch the boys programme...some lovely chaps and so glad that one teacher was able to inspire one boy to consider beyond being a chef, to possibly studying medicine. I will watch the first episode with him too...should be compulsory viewing for all parents on this forum, if this isn't proof of the unfair advantages of the middle classes, I'm not sure what is.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It should be compulsory viewing for secondary school pupils so they can see what some students are up against.

But they all had wonderful teachers rooting for them. The teacher who talked the would be chef into considering medicine and the teacher who persuaded Shakira to have a go at singing and the teacher who talked Anna into having a go at doing her exams in the hall with everyone else with a get out clause if she could not cope.

Good friends too. The one who reassured Anna who was having a last minute wobble as they went into exams that everyone was feeling the same. The one who encouraged Shakira.

Cant wait to meet them all again next week. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:It should be compulsory viewing for secondary school pupils so they can see what some students are up against.

But they all had wonderful teachers rooting for them. The teacher who talked the would be chef into considering medicine and the teacher who persuaded Shakira to have a go at singing and the teacher who talked Anna into having a go at doing her exams in the hall with everyone else with a get out clause if she could not cope.

Good friends too. The one who reassured Anna who was having a last minute wobble as they went into exams that everyone was feeling the same. The one who encouraged Shakira.

Cant wait to meet them all again next week. DG
Okay, I know I ought not to comment until I've got round to watching the programme, but with regard to the boy whose ambitions 'only' extend to becoming a chef - it's great if he would really, really prefer to do medicine and has the ability and aptitude for it and is only being held back by a lack of self-belief, but please don't let him be being directed towards medicine just 'because he's clever', if his ambitions and talents actually do lie elsewhere. Even in a kitchen.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think you need to watch the programme.

He was just being shown the options so he could take them into consideration.

It is fantastic that he was given this opportunity so he can make an informed decision based on what could be available to him. DG
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

No he absolutely had ability and aptitude.... the issue was he had no confidence or ambition because of it. The teacher was very clear that he wasn't dissing his idea of being a chef, just encouraging him to consider alternatives.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I agree. You need to see it before judging. This is the harsh reality of ‘social mobility ‘ in our society today. And yes every parent on this forum ought to see it. These kids are just as bright as the brightest on here.

ETA for anyone who still believes grammar schools are the answer here, worth trying to catch the ‘Newsnight’ discussion about this programme with Oxford historian Selena Todd. She is so right. Sadly.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Saw 'The Girls' last night. Great programme. The only mistake I made was watching it after my 'privileged darlings' had gone to bed. We'll watch 'The Boys' tonight as a family.

Thanks for the 'heads up' Amber.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Oh my word. So moving.
Just watched the girls' programme. I work in an underprivileged area so it's not as though I don't see some of this firsthand but still, listening to them talk and seeing them for long periods... we are so privileged.
I really hope that Jada gets to realise her dreams. I think it was Anne-Marie who was saddest though. It seems as though she really didn't have the most supportive family and she could really really do with a tutor/mentor just to build up her confidence. And someone to explain university and tution fees etc to her.
I so hope they get to where they want to.
Amber

Post by Amber »

loobylou wrote: I think it was Anne-Marie who was saddest though. It seems as though she really didn't have the most supportive family and she could really really do with a tutor/mentor just to build up her confidence. And someone to explain university and tution fees etc to her..
I agree - hence my first post on this thread. I sort of wondered about contacting the programme and offering to help as I do have some of the necessary expertise there; but then thought how arrogant of me and how patronising and what about all the others? But I can't stop thinking about that one either. :(
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Amber wrote:
loobylou wrote: I think it was Anne-Marie who was saddest though. It seems as though she really didn't have the most supportive family and she could really really do with a tutor/mentor just to build up her confidence. And someone to explain university and tution fees etc to her..
I agree - hence my first post on this thread. I sort of wondered about contacting the programme and offering to help as I do have some of the necessary expertise there; but then thought how arrogant of me and how patronising and what about all the others? But I can't stop thinking about that one either. :(
But if everyone who could help is thinking like that then maybe no one will actually offer it?
The worst that can happen is that they decline. Maybe you should?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now