Generation Gifted

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Generation Gifted

Post by Amber »

If there are any tutors in Port Talbot, Tamworth or Handsworth who feel like doing a good deed...
kenyancowgirl

Re: Generation Gifted

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Is there meant to be a link or something attached? :?:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I think it was on TV. Meant to watch it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sorry, I assumed with a title like that everyone on here would have watched it! It is a sobering foil to some of the more indulgent posts sometimes seen on this forum. I spent most of the hour in tears!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09s7mnh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I've got it recorded to watch but was voted down last night on the grounds that "it's our holiday and we don't want to watch a programme about school"!
Amber

Post by Amber »

loobylou wrote:I've got it recorded to watch but was voted down last night on the grounds that "it's our holiday and we don't want to watch a programme about school"!
It is rare for the telly to be on in our house so my boys came down out of curiosity. They were both rather moved.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

We're glued to the Winter Olympics!
Amber

Post by Amber »

loobylou wrote:We're glued to the Winter Olympics!
Oh that highlights programme drives me nuts. We tried to watch some the other night but it was so clipped and full of pop music and annoying. DS2 did briefly put the two man luge on yesterday - now there is a sport for the insane! I had to wheel out my John Noakes bobsleigh story again. And we tried to get our head round the rules of curling (it was a very wet day here).
Sephora

Post by Sephora »

If I was a tutor I would love to help. Interesting to see how this develops.
Wondering why the pupil from Birmingham didn’t apply for the 11+ along with her friend?
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

It’s a long time since I’ve posted on here and I have only watched the girls programme so far but found this one of the most moving and disturbing things I have watched.

I am not completely naive but this opened my eyes - two things stood out to me
1) was the crippling lack of confidence of the students
2) the combination of problems which the students do not leave behind when they go to school.

(Number 2 is the bit I do know about professionally and I do not think it is entirely random that 2/3 families have a family member with disabilities - the type that can put such burden on relationships, and which often mean one parent can never work. The lass whose mum missed options evening because she was at the hospital with little brother - this summed up so much).

I had goosebumps when Shakira sang but her crippling anxiety, and her worries for her brother just seemed to overwhelm her. But the lump in my throat was for the lass from Port Talbot who seemed old beyond her years and she came across as being really talented.

Not very coherent comments. I have been thinking of what can be done since I saw it - not yet come up with an answer but am mulling on my thoughts.