Generation Gifted

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Generation Gifted

Post by mystery »

Yes, I am wanting to watch it too. Isn't it on I player?

Where does systemic and cultural change start to enable teenagers to break previous patterns if they wish to?

Surely school is one possible place? There's no reason why teachers / schools could not, right the way through, provide a more informative offering about life beyond school. But it's not part of the training - so yes, something as brilliant as taking a student off to see uni medicine as part of an eye opener to possibilities could possibly have been done to greater effect with fewer resources.

teachers need more training in this - it could easily be included in teacher training and schools could build up cheap online resources to help. Sure it is not a cure all -- - but better than nothing.
mystery

Post by mystery »

solimum wrote:One possible way for those on here to channel that urge to help might be to ask your local comprehensive/ Secondary modern if they have any scheme for mock interviews/ careers mentoring . My OH has done this a couple of times now at the school where I work as an LSA (and where incidentally I also spend time trying that delicate balance of encouragement and managing expectations, often with pupils whose academic gifts are less obvious...). He has found it very rewarding - so far it's mainly been with the Year 11s who are encouraged to write a CV and talk about what their plans are post GCSEs with an unfamiliar adult, as a combination of interview practice and widening of horizons. (The school help match the pupils to the backgrounds of the volunteers).
That sounds like a good scheme. How does it cope with teens who are too shy or lacking in confidence to get the most out of this face to face with a helpful stranger process?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I've done this a bit mystery - I think in a way there are different results - from interviewing, whilst the shy youngster might not feel a connection, what they are getting experience of trying to speak to a stranger, coherently, in a short space of time - this gives them valuable experience to take forward to real life interviews, which are just that - speaking coherently to a stranger.

With mentoring it is a different relationship. Not everyone can be a mentor - the "pushy parent type" would not make a good mentor, for example. Mentors tend to selected quite carefully - they tend to have relevant experience (possibly occupationallly linked, but could be someone with counselling type skills, or youth work skills etc) - mentors are matched carefully, depending on what the individual needs and what they relate to. In state schools I have worked in, it tends to focus on the latter, in academic schools it can focus more on the former.

Effective relationship building is key - I have worked with hugely shy teenagers, massively morose teenagers, and very bolshy teenagers - in a one on one setting, once you key into their mindset, you would be surprised as to how communicative they often are.
Amber

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Effective relationship building is key - I have worked with hugely shy teenagers, massively morose teenagers, and very bolshy teenagers - in a one on one setting, once you key into their mindset, you would be surprised as to how communicative they often are.
+1. I love that kind of work and at the same time get very upset by it on occasion, when I hear what some very young people have to deal with on a daily basis.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Very true. It would make most people's hair curl....and is one of the reasons I am so convinced that the GS system plays against these disadvantaged youngsters.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It made me realise again how much I enjoyed working in a comp where a supportive teacher can really make a difference. Sadly, until we scrap Private and GS I cannot see it changing. I can't see that there will be 'investment' [not just money] from those in power to change things unless their children are actually in the system.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Very true. It would make most people's hair curl....and is one of the reasons I am so convinced that the GS system plays against these disadvantaged youngsters.
Sneaky, was 30 pages not enough :)

Spend the money but spend it earlier. More good stuff like Sure Start.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:It made me realise again how much I enjoyed working in a comp where a supportive teacher can really make a difference. Sadly, until we scrap Private and GS I cannot see it changing. I can't see that there will be 'investment' [not just money] from those in power to change things unless their children are actually in the system.
Me too. I was actually offered a job in a private school (I hadn't applied to it! - they don't need to worry about fair employment law perhaps?) but wouldn't do it, nor indeed work in a GS. There is so much need elsewhere.
RedPanda wrote:Spend the money but spend it earlier. More good stuff like Sure Start.
You know what happened to Sure Start? Middle class parents hijacked that too! Just like grammar schools. The road to h ell is paved with good intentions. Targeted interventions don't work. You need a universal system.

(Anyone with a genuine interest in this ought to google scholar Esping-Anderson's work on models of the welfare state).
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Amber wrote:
RedPanda wrote:Spend the money but spend it earlier. More good stuff like Sure Start.
You know what happened to Sure Start? Middle class parents hijacked that too! Just like grammar schools. The road to h ell is paved with good intentions. Targeted interventions don't work. You need a universal system.
I know a lot about Sure Start, we had to tell them to go away when they wanted to spend their time advising our (highly qualified early years) family unit about parenting. That's not a joke by the way. All true.

I also worked with them on a professional level for a while and a few children centres thrown in for good measure. Whilst some middle class parents were using the services (because they turned up, not necessarily hijacking the place :D), the staff were trying really hard to engage with those families that needed the help. The general consensus amongst the staff was something akin to 'you can take a horse to water...'.

Anyway Amber, your universal system is a big ask in this day and age. Democracy and politicians give you big changes like Brexit and little else. In the meantime, interventions are all we have. There is a lot of good work done by Sure Start. It was bumpy to begin with but I think it is finding it's feet. I personally wouldn't discount it. Closing the gaps created by social equality is as much about educating the parent as it is about educating the child.
Amber

Post by Amber »

All fair points RP. I am an idealist I suppose, and to me spending money on targeted interventions looks great on paper but can never address the big issues to do with underlying equality. And while this country is so focused on children as potential adults (in terms of what they can be taught which will be of use to society) rather than for their own intrinsic worth, EY interventions are always going to be about ensuring they don't fall further behind in their reading and writing, even if that isn't stated overtly, than in a genuine reduction of social disadvantage.