Beyond School

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Surferfish

Re: Beyond School

Post by Surferfish »

I think I understand better now and did misjudge, so apologies for any previous sarcasm.

Its quite normal for boys that age not to be into the Classics. What about something like Lord of the Rings? Would he enjoy reading that?

Does he like maths? The numberphile series on youtube might be of interest (although appreciate you may prefer to avoid internet/screen based activities)
http://www.numberphile.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
newtothislondonmum

Post by newtothislondonmum »

Thank you all great suggestions! I will book the Thames walk as he was keen on finding some relics in low tide. Night in museum sounds really good will book that too!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

There are also some great guide books for walks in London, especially the "hidden walks" type. They take you through some really interesting routes pointing out oddities and curiosities along the way, so it ends up being a combined history/social history/geography walk.

We did one that follows the route of the river Tyburn from Marylebone down to the Thames at Whitehall. The river is totally buried under modern London. Among other things it took in some wonderful back streets including a shop where you can see the river flowing under a glass floor in the basement, it flows in pipes across the ceiling of a tube station, you experience a genuine valley which you would never believe you are in as you cross Oxford Street until you look along to Marble Arch and Centrepoint and realise the road rises in each direction, and so on. At low tide, you can even see the river flowing out into the Thames.

Another one took in the site of the Tyburn Tree, which is marked by a small inlaid plaque on the traffic island at Marble Arch on the junction with Edgware Road. It was a public gallows and among others, Oliver Cromwell's remains were hung there after being exhumed. There are unused tube stations ("ghost stations") along the lines which are now often used for location filming and a completely false house facade in a Bayswater terrace, hiding the tube line that was cut-and-cover-dug right through the street.

As you can tell, I love this sort of thing....! Armed with a guide book, a phone and wikipedia it makes for a great day out. Cheap, too once you've paid to get into the city.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I agree anotherdad. I can remember going to London a lot when we were children with mum who knew it well from working there before she was married. Lots of hidden history and much of it overlooked; far more interesting than the tourist-traps.

OP, do you have a garden? Could your child grow veg?

You also mentioned cricket. He could learn to score the game properly; a very useful skill. I can point you to online courses if you can't find somewhere local.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I used to have a book called "B*****ks to Alton Towers" which was full of ideas for days out that didn't involve being herded and fleeced like sheep. Living in Bucks, I arrive in London at Marylebone and often walk to Baker Street to catch a bus to wherever I'm heading. The queues for Madame Tussaud's are astonishing. Visitors to Britain will queue for a couple of hours to pay £20 to see waxworks of Jonathan Ross and other low-grade celebrities, seemingly unaware that there is loads of free history surrounding them that is infinitely more interesting than a wax Simon Cowell. "Yes, but if you sing in front of him, he puts you down!" I got a free ticket and had time to kill so wandered round. It is perhaps the worst "attraction" I have ever visited.
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

newtothislondonmum wrote:Thank you all great suggestions! I will book the Thames walk as he was keen on finding some relics in low tide. Night in museum sounds really good will book that too!
Hi Newtothislondonmum,

I can thoroughly recommend mudlarking on the Thames but have a look at the Museum of London events programme to see if they have any walks or events in their schedules first. Mudlarking has become a lot more regulated in the last couple of years and requires a permit now so it isn't quite as straightforward as it used to be . See the Port of London Authority website below for details of what's restricted and what's not.
https://www.pla.co.uk/Environment/Thame ... nd-digging" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You may have a Young Archaeologists Club near you as well that would facilitate activities like mudlarking etc

British Museum also runs sleepovers themed around new exhibitions.

HTH
PS
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Or take a trip to the Jurassic Coast and look for relics there?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

For days at home, think about getting a Lego mindstorm kit. Construction and programming all combined. See if his allocated secondary school takes part in First Lego league.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now