Elise Christie

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Elise Christie

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you haven't seen Eddie the Eagle the movie, I do recommend it! I remember living through that period - really interesting to see the behind the scenes aspects of what he went through.
Amber

Post by Amber »

In a very bizarre happening not long ago, I was paying at the checkout of my local Sainsbury's, where there is a colocated optician. The lady on the checkout mentioned to me that she couldn't concentrate on what she was doing because Eddie the Eagle was in the optician's. When I glanced over I spotted a man looking rather uncomfortable (I took this to be E the E, but I cannot verify as I have no reference point) surrounded by staff drinking prosecco and someone waiting for an eye test. As I walked past I was offered some M and Ms which were on a plate. I do not think this was a dream though writing it I can see that it has some of the same qualities.

I have no idea what was going on and haven't bothered to try and find out, but maybe a few years down the line Elise Christie can look forward to similar 'events'.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Surferfish wrote:
stroudydad wrote:The Eagle was in no way the same.. Elizabeth Swaney got there by being able to attend a massive number of events, and representing a different country. The Eagle fought the system to represent his country. (and actually he is a lovely man as I'm sure some on here will know)
Can't comment on whether Elizabeth Swaney is a lovely lady or not but surely there are other similarities? Both were able to compete in the Olympics due to attending the required number of international events and being the best in their prospective countries, even though their standard was comically well below what you would expect of the Olympics.
I would say there is a massive difference, if you look at the history behind both.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote:I have no idea what was going on and haven't bothered to try and find out, but maybe a few years down the line Elise Christie can look forward to similar 'events'.
Maybe next time your local Sainsbury's decides to promote its range of false eyelashes you should pop in to hopefully catch a glimpse of Elise? :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Surferfish wrote:
Amber wrote:I have no idea what was going on and haven't bothered to try and find out, but maybe a few years down the line Elise Christie can look forward to similar 'events'.
Maybe next time your local Sainsbury's decides to promote its range of false eyelashes you should pop in to hopefully catch a glimpse of Elise? :)
She'd be the one on the floor then.

(joke, ok, before I run for cover!)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:
Surferfish wrote:
She'd be the one on the floor then.

:lol: :lol:
scary mum
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote:She'd be the one on the floor then.

Yes on second thoughts maybe you should stay away. You don't want to be taken out and sent flying as she goes careering down the make-up aisle... :shock:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

K, I give up. World championships and Olympic records obviously pale into insignificance for a female sports person compared to the importance of false eyelashes (or otherwise) and the need to immediately blame yourself when things turn out badly. Way to go guys, and here was me thinking we'd seen the back of that kind of attitude.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Sigh...I say again...if it was just that things did turn out badly, fair enough for not blaming herself, but it is the repeatedly blaming of others when she has made obvious errors that I am not favourable towards.

It's got nothing to do with her being female, I'd dislike that immature characteristic in a male too...also, I'm not a guy....(and Amber was clearly being humerous)...

Thought we'd seen the back of that kind of attitude too...
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Put it into context. If you'd been working single mindedly towards a specific professional goal for the last four years and it had all gone catastrophically wrong, you'd probably bat questions away in the immediate aftermath until you'd had time to go away and spend some time working out what happened. Failure at the Olympics is a huge thing for a sports person and the shock/denial/anger etc cycle kicks in; you can't expect a sensible answer straight away. (Professional footballers spout the most meaningless and often infuriating nonsense in the post match interview, no one ever criticises them for the rubbish they talk!)