Trump says armed teachers could stop school gun attacks

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

Re: Trump says armed teachers could stop school gun attacks

Post by stroudydad »

Guest55 wrote:Did anyone see he has been ranked the worst ever President? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 18721.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think suggesting shooting him is a bit extreme ... they've been more than enough killings.
Possibly... especially as he has already had offspring.

I can't remember the exact figures but at the time of the latest school massacre there had been about 45 days in the the year, and 29 mass shootings in America..
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:
stroudydad wrote:The trouble is is isn't just the NRA. A lot of 'normal' everyday Americans want guns.
Please define 'normal'.

The NRA is a very powerful and rich lobbying group and while I agree to an extent, without the NRA these 'normal' individuals would have little power.
Agreed
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Someone posted a link which showed the notes he was holding for his meeting with the families of the recent shootings....the last point of 5 was: I hear you....... :shock: :shock: :shock:

He needs a note to remind him to show empathy.....it's soul destroying.

And how, how, how could anyone be except a total idiot think that, when meeting the families who had lost their children, hey, I tell you what, let's arm the teachers.....

I could weep.
Amber

Post by Amber »

And on that point, as a teacher myself, I cannot imagine the hideous burden of responsibility of carrying a gun with which I was supposed to protect my students from each other. I recall after the mass shooting at the nightclub in Florida people were saying that if only the victims had had guns it would all have been ok. Can you imagine? Shootouts, cross fire, whoops I got the wrong chap, sorry!, had a couple of drinks, 'what you looking at?' - bang!...I think American pro-gun fanatics just must be differently wired from the rest of us.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I suppose a lot are very nervous and that's where the must have a gun idea comes from. And I guess that the fact that so many carry guns could make one so. Know someone who was talking the other day to a "normal" American business man with family. Sleeps at home with gun at hand in case of intruder - and it's one that's kitted up to be close to an automatic. It's all so ridiculous really. Have the proportion owning guns gone up over the years or has it always been like this? I suppose the technology has improved though - more bang for your bucks so to speak.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

stroudydad wrote:The trouble is is isn't just the NRA. A lot of 'normal' everyday Americans want guns.
It is crazy isn't it? After every tragedy there is a spike in gun purchases by 'normal' everyday Americans for reasons of self defence or fear the gun laws may tighten. The irony is that these people have just increased the chances that the next tragedy will happen in their own homes. Suicide, domestic incident, etc.

Bizarre history fact... The second amendment was based on a similar English law from the 17th century. Of course most countries now realise that defending 'the realm' requires more than a population with the right to bear arms. Pitch forks, swords, and rifles are useless against nuclear weapons and laser guided missiles.

The Americans need to catch up the rest of the world on this one. A classic example of not fully understanding the reasons for a law and following it blindly.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

RedPanda wrote:
It is crazy isn't it? After every tragedy there is a spike in gun purchases by 'normal' everyday Americans for reasons of self defence or fear the gun laws may tighten. The irony is that these people have just increased the chances that the next tragedy will happen in their own homes. Suicide, domestic incident, etc.

Its not as though there has not been enough studies to show what you say is absolutely true.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... nce-shows/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The question is how you convince the ignorant ? Remember this is a country in which large numbers and in some surveys over half the population don't even accept as scientific fact evolution even though some of the evidence is beneath their feet in the ground they walk upon every day.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

quasimodo wrote:Its not as though there has not been enough studies to show what you say is absolutely true.
Thanks for the link Quasimodo, that was sobering. I didn't know the actual numbers...
guns at home were four times more likely to cause an accidental shooting, seven times more likely to be used in assault or homicide, and 11 times more likely to be used in a suicide than they were to be used for self-defense.
Crazy.
piggys

Post by piggys »

You cannot make 350 million guns - likely more - vanish. Americans will die coveting their guns because it's in their blood. It's how they conquered the territory, after all. I know a little about this issue for family reasons I do not care to explain just now. Americans are not like Europeans and especially not like Brits. They just aren't. They see their identity as intertwined with their weapons. It's a sickness - IMHO. :(

There are loads of stats, all of which are very depressing. I'm not even going to bother commenting on the global village idiot heading up the US just now.

Have a look at the clip of Cameron Kasky and Mark Rubio (it's on the Guardian - got to learn how to do links!) and have a look at the list of US politicians who receive money from the NRA. Pretty awful really. Money will always talk and always eclipse the value of human life.

Last year my dd was preparing her English Language GCSE oral assignment (they have to talk /explore/ persuade on a topic of their choice) and she did gun crime in the US. I often recommend it as a topic to my students. What's interesting though, is that the NRA website is deemed unsuitable by most filters for under 18 viewing. I had to suspend the computer filters in order to access it. It is one of the most lunatic websites I have ever looked at. Go figure.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I can recommend Gary Younge's book 'Another Day in the Death of America'. It's about a load of children who all died from gun attacks on a day that he chose randomly. Each chapter is about a different kid and how they died.

He is one of my favourite investigative journalists and also ran the 'Beyond the Blade' series last year which documented every child and teenager lost to knife crime in the UK.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now