Salisbury

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Salisbury

Post by Amber »

I agree anotherdad. Her persona is another social construct, like almost everything when you start thinking about it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

And to be clear, I am not defending the Russians, nor the attack on Skripal, nor the use of nerve agents in this country or anywhere else. I am just trying to stand back a bit and ask why now, why this, why and to whom does this matter, that kind of thing.

As for the use of resources on one thing Mystery, our country is getting form for that, is it not? Thinking of what most Parliamentary time is being used on these days. :cry:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

anotherdad wrote:
Amber wrote:Nor is anyone saying Putin is the next Mother Theresa (we have our own!). But please don't swallow whole the discourse that Russia is Bad and not-Russia is Good, nor that other nations don't get involved in similar nasty business. What one reads in the papers is not 'the truth', if such a thing even exists.
Going off-topic, I contend that people shouldn't take what is often portrayed about Mother Teresa as the truth. I subscribe to the view that she was more interested in pushing Catholicism than she was in helping poor people and conducted the latter to drive the former. She held contentious views on abortion and the equal status of women. Donations were misdirected and people allowed to suffer unnecessarily to satisfy her belief that suffering was a good thing. Withholding anaesthetics and running clinics with facilities and processes far beneath what donations should have provided for makes her worthy of criticism. She was no Saint and I'm not a fan.
Amber wrote:I agree anotherdad. Her persona is another social construct, like almost everything when you start thinking about it.
This is something I have come across in writings in India and in particular from Calcutta.It was also referred to in one of the late Christopher Hitchens books in the way religion can kill.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

anotherdad wrote:She was no Saint
Well actually, I think you'll find she was/is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37269512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although I'm in agreement with most of the rest of what you said.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Surferfish wrote:
anotherdad wrote:She was no Saint
Well actually, I think you'll find she was/is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37269512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although I'm in agreement with most of the rest of what you said.
You're quite right. I should have used saint with a small 's'. She met one definition of the word but not the other.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

anotherdad wrote:You're quite right. I should have used saint with a small 's'. She met one definition of the word but not the other.
Yes she literally (to use the word in the correct way for once!) was a Saint, if perhaps not metaphorically. :wink:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Can't help but feel that all that 'We want our country back' rhetoric we have heard so much about is coming home to roost.
I reckon we are getting near the '70s already. No doubt the pro Putin Brexit rhetoric will be conveniently swept under the carpet thereby killing 2 birds with one stone. Create a common enemy in the media, 'they' need one now that 'it' can't be blamed on Europe any more, and anyone who has an alternate dialogue is 'unpatriotic' (I imagine even the Brexiteers have recognised that accusing anyone who respects Human Rights and regrets our 'democratic' vote as being unpatriotic is wearing a bit thin...or maybe not?)and a new enemy is required to keep the masses in their place.

Before we get any further back does anyone how easy it is to get a visa to live in Canada?
Last edited by mad? on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mad?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I blame immigration, specifically the first immigrants to these shores. When the first amphibious fish crawled up onto the land - OUR LAND! - all those years ago, with their barely developed lungs and their hopes and dreams for a better life on land, we should have sent them packing. ****** spongers.

(With credit to Stewart Lee and his brilliant sketch on the subject)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I am so slow. I've only just realised why the French spell Putin 'Poutine'.
Amber

Post by Amber »

KS10 wrote:I am so slow. I've only just realised why the French spell Putin 'Poutine'.
Could you share? I am even slower!

One of the earliest Russian words I taught my children the meaning of is Vladimir. I do wish English newsreaders would learn how to pronounce it though.