Salisbury

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Salisbury

Post by Amber »

I have been trying to follow the news on this using Russian websites to see what they are saying. The reporting is very much more detailed than what we see here, and much less sensationalist too. There is one op ed piece which suggests that there is a move to demonise Putin and that using Teresa May to do this rather than Trump is likely to be more effective in polarising EU opinion. There is talk of a letter which Skripal may or may not have sent asking to be returned to Russia, and some speculation about the sources of this being unreliable. The news about Yuliya regaining consciousness and being able to speak has been reported too. Predictably, there is denial of Russian involvement and statements about conclusions being jumped to. Lots about retaliatory expulsions. It is really quite interesting to see their propaganda versus our own. It makes you realise that we are all just on different sides of the same set of 'truths', and that people will believe what they are told if it supports their own version of how events are likely to have happened. Only one version can be 'true'; maybe neither. Who will ever know?

I wonder what she will say! Hope they have a decent Russian interpreter on hand.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I wonder what she will say! Hope they have a decent Russian interpreter on hand.
Have you offered?
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:
Have you offered?
They have my number. :lol:

I think considering what seems to be the somewhat cavalier approach to public protection over this whole episode, I would rather be quite a long way from Salisbury right now.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think one of the problems at present is how does the supposed gloop on the front door making them fall ill at exactly the same time at least 3 hours later?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Amber, please can you explain a little more about the idea that Theresa May is being used by this event to polarise the eu.

Hermanmunster, there are some reports that there were traces of nerve agent on the right hand of one skripal and the left hand of the other. I can see with difficulty that this might happen if they were passing in to the house through the front door together. And with greater difficult how nerve agent on the outside of the door could contaminate them both in this one handed way if they were both exiting the house. He touched the door one handed when opening and closing it and she gave him a helping hand to the car?

The delay - there are extra pyramidal side effects to some prescription drugs which can be delayed by hours. Is this possible with some kind of nerve agent? Could a couple of drinks of alcohol speed things up? Is absorption through the skin be slower and account for the time delay?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

my understanding of "nerve agents" is that like most drugs the most rapid absorption (other than iv) is via the lungs, followed by swallowing (and this can vary depending on what else you eat / drink eg fizzy alcohol drinks absorbed more quickly) - slowest and most variable of all is the skin route - so that is why I can't understand how it hit them both within such a short period of time.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The finding of the nerve agent on the front door two - or is it 3 weeks after the event all seems a bit too convenient to me...like it has appeared as an after thought?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe they ahave known it was there for quite some time but have only removed the door recently for some reason or other?

Now, was the porridge theory an April fool?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

the porridge story certainly sounds bizarre enough to be an April Fool - slightly bad taste if that is what it is though
mystery

Post by mystery »

Would it have badly affected the flavour Hermanmunster?

9 places to avoid on your next trip down Memory Lane:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/serg ... 16086.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now